Katie Lachter focuses her practice primarily in attorney professional responsibility and risk management. In addition, she has substantial experience as a commercial litigator, with particular emphasis in the area of white collar criminal defense.
Ms. Lachter has represented clients in matters before the SEC, FINRA and other regulatory authorities.
Ms. Lachter joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in February 2011. Previously she was for more than two years a senior associate with Hogan Lovells US LLP, in New York.
Ms. Lachter began her legal career in 2003 as a law clerk to the Honorable Bruce W. Kauffman, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania. In 2004 she went to Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP. She moved to Stillman, Friedman & Shechtman, P.C. as an associate in 2007, joining Hogan Lovells in 2008.
Ms. Lachter is a member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York (Committee on Professional and Judicial Ethics) and the Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (APRL). She is a faculty member at the Practising Law Institute.
Ms. Lachter is a co-author of “Civility: The Ultimate Legal Weapon
?” published by Bloomberg Law Report - Law Firm Management, 2011. She is also a co-author of “E-data and the ‘All Records’ Exception
,” published by Law360, March 2011.
She is the Editor-in-Chief of the Ethics FAQ page on the Bar of the City of New York’s Ethics Committee webpage.
Her presentations include:
- “Litigation Funding,” Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2013.
- “Ethics in the Electronic Age: Be Careful When Using That Smart Phone, Blackberry, Tablet, Blog, Social Network . . .” New York City Bar Internet & Consumer Law series, New York, New York, June 2012.
- “IP Lawyer Ethical Issues,” Intellectual Property Law Institute 2011, New York, New York, September 2011.
- “Playing Smart: Civility and Professionalism,” Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (APRL) Annual Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, August 2011.
- “Ethics for Business/Transactional Lawyers,” New York State Bar Association seminar, Uniondale, New York, June 2011.
- “What Every Attorney Must Know About Ethics, Parts I and II,” at the Practising Law Institute, New York, New York, August and December 2010.
In 2009, Ms. Lachter was the recipient of the Legal Aid Society’s 2009 Pro Bono Publico