Eric Loeffler focuses his litigation practice in the areas of commercial litigation, construction, and fidelity and surety law.
Mr. Loeffler has represented business owners, developers, sureties, contractors, architects and engineers, construction managers and others in various aspects of commercial claims and disputes.
He represents clients in a wide variety of forums, including federal and state courts, appellate courts, bankruptcy courts, arbitrations and mediations.
His reported cases include:
- North American Specialty Ins. Co. v. MPF Corp., 2010 WL 5452721 (D. Mass. 2010).
- Fidelity and Guar. Ins. Co. v. Star Equipment Corp., 541 F.3d. 1 (1st Cir. 2008).
- Belanger v. North American Specialty Ins. Corp., 504 F.3d. 147 (1st Cir. 2007).
- Travelers Property & Cas. Ins. Co. v. Triton Marine Const. Corp., 473 F. Supp. 2d 321 (D. Conn. 2007).
- U.S. v. JMG Excavating & Construction Co., Inc., 223 F.R.D. 17 (D. Me. 2004).
- Seaboard Surety Company v. Town of Greenfield, 266 F. Supp. 2d 189 (D. Mass. 2003).
Mr. Loeffler joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in July 2005 upon the opening of the firm's Boston office. Previously he was an associate with the Boston law firm of Cetrulo & Capone LLP, and before that was in private practice as a commercial litigator.
Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Loeffler worked as a law clerk to the justices of the Massachusetts Superior Court.
Mr. Loeffler holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability. In 2010 and again in 2011, he was named to the Rising Stars
list in the area of Construction / Surety by New England Super Lawyers
magazine. This designation is reserved for only 2.5 percent of all attorneys in New England.
Mr. Loeffler is member of the American Bar Association, the Massachusetts Bar Association and the Boston Bar Association.
Mr. Loeffler was a contributing author to the “Law of Payment Bonds,” published in 2011 by ABA-TIPS, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee of the American Bar Association. His publications also include:
- “Enforcement of the Collateral Security Provisions in the General Indemnity Agreement: Tactics and Procedures,” contributing author, American Bar Association Annual Midwinter Meeting of the Construction Forum/Fidelity and Surety Subcommittee, 2007.
- “Performance Bond Manual,” contributing author, ABA-TIPS, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee of the American Bar Association, 2006.
- “St. Paul Fire and Marine Ins. Co. v. City of Green River, Wyoming: Discharge of the Performance Bond Surety – Obligee Beware,” contributing author, Eastern Bond Claims Review, May 2002.
Mr. Loeffler’s presentations include:
- “The Claim in Litigation,” AVA Fidelity & Surety Law Committee, Spring Meeting, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, June 2011.
- “Is Your Limitation Provision a Statue of Repose?” Central States Surety Association, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, June 2011.
- “Avoiding Traps for the Unwary: Considerations in Handling Payment Bond Claims, Hinshaw in-house presentation, Chicago, Illinois, April 2011.