William Trimble is a seasoned complex litigation attorney who focuses his practice in the area of medical malpractice litigation.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in July 2017, Mr. Trimble practiced for nearly two decades at a firm based in Decatur, Illinois. In that capacity, he represented clients in all aspects of complex civil litigation from intake and assessment through appeal, on a broad range of legal issues.
During law school, Mr. Trimble received both the CALI Excellence for the Future Award and the Harno Award in Law and Economics. He also participated in Moot Court and the litigation section of the University of Illinois Law Clinic.
- Decatur Bar Association, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Institutional Negligence Litigation: Shared responsibility for preparation and trial of a case which alleged that insufficient hospital protocols led to the administration of the wrong MRI contrast agent to a patient, causing her disability and eventual death. Final demand was eight million dollars; the verdict was for the defense.
- Medical Malpractice Litigation: After plaintiff's counsel dismissed and re-filed a medical negligence action, Mr. Trimble drafted and argued a motion for summary judgment based on Hudson v. City of Chicago, arguing that res judicata barred the re-filed action. When this was denied, he prepared a successful motion for reconsideration, resulting in summary judgment in favor of client.
- Medical Malpractice Litigation: Prepared all pleadings for a medical negligence case alleging negligence in the performance of a gallbladder removal surgery leading to disability in one arm. The case alleged liability of all parties involved in the performance of the surgery on the basis of res ipsa loquitur. Moved for, argued, and received summary judgment for clients.
- Corporate Contract Litigation: Handled the defense of a contract dispute between two global corporations, in which client had rescinded a $750,000 purchase contract, and the plaintiff corporation sought to enforce that contract. Successfully moved for summary judgment based on admissions obtained from witnesses in deposition. The plaintiff appealed, but summary judgment was upheld.
Mr. Trimble lives in Decatur, IL with his wife and two sons. He enjoys working on projects with his sons, reading and helping coach a 4-H robotics and technology team.
- 4-H Scream Robotics, Co-Coach
- Chinese Heritage Association, Former Chess Teacher
- C-U Play Chess, Former Counsel and Board Member
- Urbana Free Library Children's Chess Club, Former Organizer, Facilitator and Coach
- Warrensburg-Latham Junior Cardinals Youth Wrestling, Former Assistant Coach
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Illinois Law School, 1998
B.A., Philosophy, Grinnell College, 1991
- National Merit Scholar
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois