Bo Murphey focuses his practice in the defense of personal injury and property damage claims, including products liability, general negligence, insurance coverage, insurance fraud, bad faith, civil rights, medical malpractice and legal malpractice matters.
He is involved in all phases of the litigation process. Mr. Murphey prepares and drafts pleadings, motions and appeals; and reviews, analyzes and summarizes plaintiff medical records, expert reports and discovery documents. He conducts and defends depositions, and has represented clients at trial as lead attorney and second chair in both bench and jury trials, as well as during mediation.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in February 2016, Mr. Murphey was for two and half years an associate with a Crown Point, Indiana firm. He has worked at other Indiana and Illinois firms, furthering his defense litigation experience at each.
A selection of Mr. Murphey's representative matters includes:
- Lead counsel for breach of contract claim against an insurer, resulting in defense verdict from jury.
- Lead counsel in multi-party motor vehicle accident claim where it was undisputed that his client was on her mobile phone at the time of the accident, resulting in defense verdict from jury.
- Second chair during the trial of a motor vehicle accident involving multiple fatalities.
- Management of pre-litigation fire losses involving fatalities, including scene inspection, evidence extraction and examination involving multiple parties.
- Successfully appealed cases to the Indiana Court of Appeals to obtain new trials.
- "Dirty Litigation Tactics: How to Deal with the 'Rambo' Litigator," National Business Institute, May 2015
- "Trial Preparation from Start to Finish," Institute for Paralegal Education, October 2013
J.D., Valparaiso University School of Law, 2007
B.A., Washington University, Political Science and Economics, 2003
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana