Todd Davis focuses his practice in the area of complex insurance coverage disputes, bad faith litigation, and commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts throughout Florida and Georgia. His representations include a variety of insured risks and coverages, including commercial general liability (CGL), errors and omissions (E&O), directors and officers liability (D&O), and a number of professional liability (PL) coverages for doctors, lawyers, contractors, architects, engineers, and others. In addition, Mr. Davis has also counseled clients on a wide variety of commercial litigation matters, ranging from breach of contract to federal computer fraud.
Mr. Davis joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in November 2009. Previously, he served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Eugene E. Siler, Jr., in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
During law school, Mr. Davis served on his school’s law review and was later elected to the law review’s editorial board. He made the Dean’s list five out of six semesters and graduated cum laude in the top five percent of his class. During his tenure in law school, Mr. Davis also worked at two law firms in Jacksonville, Florida, where he gained experience in a variety of commercial and civil litigation areas.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Davis worked under the Prosecuting Attorney, in Williamsburg, Kentucky and attended Milligan College (Johnson City, Tennessee) on a basketball scholarship.
Mr. Davis is a member of the Real Property, Probate, and Trust Law Section as well as the Young Lawyers Division of the Florida Bar.
- The Florida Bar, Young Lawyers Division
Mr. Davis has litigated numerous federal and state trial and appellate matters in Florida and Georgia. He has appeared in seven federal jurisdictions throughout the United States, including an appearance in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. A sample of some of his published cases include:
- Maryland Cas. Co. v. Florida Atlantic Orthopedics, 2012 WL 573358 (11th Cir. 2012) (Affirming district court’s decision that a medical services exclusion in a commercial general liability policy excluded coverage for premises liability and negligence claims that arose out of injuries caused by complications during surgery.).
- Maryland Cas. Co. v. Florida Atlantic Orthopedics, 2011 WL 1085184 (S.D. Fla. Feb. 24, 2011) (Summary judgment finding the professional services exclusion in a commercial general liability policy barred coverage for premises liability and negligence claims in malpractice litigation.).
- James River Ins. Co. v. KV Carrier Serv. Inc., 771 F.Supp.2d 1352 (S.D. Ga. 2011) (Summary judgment finding that the bodily injury exclusion in an E&O policy barred negligent hiring and retention claims against trucking company where the underlying lawsuit involved a claim for wrongful death.).
- James River Ins. Co. v. Maier, 795 F.Supp.2d 1378 (S.D. Ga. 2011) (Summary judgment finding that the bodily injury exclusion in an E&O policy barred negligent hiring and retention claims against trucking company where the underlying lawsuit involved a claim for wrongful death.).
- Northland Ins. Co. v. Rodriguez, Case No. 10-81619-CIV-KAM, Westlaw Citation Pending (S.D. Fla. April 17, 2012) (Summary judgment finding that a claim was not covered under a commercial trucking liability policy where the truck at issue was scheduled under the policy and the policy was not ambiguous.).
- Mt. Hawley Ins. Co. v. Apex Concrete Constr. Co., Case No. 4:11-cv-645-MW/CAS, Westlaw Citation Pending (N.D. Fla. Jan. 11, 2013) (Summary judgment finding no duty to defend or indemnify general contractor for injury to an employee under a CGL policy based on an employer’s liability exclusion in the policy.).
- October 4, 2013Insurance Coverage Alert
- September 20, 2013Insurance Coverage Alert
- Florida District Court of Appeal Holds that Additional Insured Is Entitled to Separate, Independent Counsel in "Paper Conflict" With Co-InsuredMay 9, 2013Insurance Coverage Alert
J.D., cum laude, Florida Coastal School of Law, 2008
- Submissions Editor, Florida Coastal Law Review
B.A., History, Milligan College, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia