Timothy Newlin focuses his practice in the defense of workers' compensation claims. He is also active in the defense of medical malpractice and legal malpractice claims.
Mr. Newlin's major clients include Walsh Construction and OSF Healthcare System, including OSF St. Francis Medical Center, OSF Corporate, and OSF St. Mary's Hospitals.
Mr. Newlin has been practicing litigation and business law since 1978. Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in 2003, Mr. Newlin was a partner at Cassidy & Mueller and an Assistant Vice President at National City Bank, n/k/a PNC Bank, where he worked as an attorney in the area of Estate Settlement. Mr. Newlin has practiced in the areas of real estate, family law, personal injury, workers' compensation, products liability, probate, toxic torts, creditors rights and insurance claims defense.
In April 2011, Mr. Newlin was appointed to the position of Peoria County Public Administrator/Public Guardian by Illinois Governor Pat Quinn and confirmed by the Illinois State Senate. He served in that position through 2013.
- Past Professor of Business Law at Illinois Central College
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Peoria County Bar Association
- Central Illinois Estate Planning Council
- Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness for Illinois Board of Admissions to the Bar, Member
- American Inns of Court Barrister, Member
- Greater Peoria Claims Association, President (1991)
Honors & Awards
- Member of the Leading Lawyers Network, where he was selected by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in the areas of Personal Injury Defense Law and General and Workers’ Compensation Defense Law
- Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for ethics and legal ability
- Rated as a Top Lawyer in Illinois by Chicago Lawyer Magazine
- "Retaliatory Discharge Actions Under Illinois Law," Sterling Education's Workers' Compensation Commission Law & Practice Seminar, Bloomington, Illinois, June 2015
- "Retaliatory Discharge Actions Under Illinois Law," Sterling Education's Workers' Compensation Law & Practice Seminar, Bloomington, Illinois, June 2014.
- "Workers’ Compensation Developments," Hinshaw’s Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, October 2011.
- "Public Act 097-0018, Including the Newly Amended Illinois Workers' Compensation Act," OSF St. Francis and OSF St Joseph Medical Centers, Peoria, Illinois, July 2011.
- Neighborhood Watch Group, Former President
- Autism Speaks 17th Congressional District Advocate
- Peoria Christian Business Committee, Member
- Peoria Girl's Sports League, Member
- Peoria Youth Boy's Basketball League, Member
- Lutheran Ministries, Past Board Member
- South Side Mission Board, Past Member
- Peoria Leadership Prayer Breakfast, Past Chairman
St. Philomena PTO, Past President
Rotary Club of Peoria, Past Director
Big Brothers Big Sister, Big Brother since 2011
Crime Stoppers of Greater Peoria, Board Member
J.D., Southern Methodist University, 1977
- Student Body President
- Recipient, Leadership Award
B.A., Southern Methodist University, 1974
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois