T.J. Leake concentrates his practice in the areas of business transactions and estate and financial planning. Mr. Leake has been involved in advising corporations, associations and not-for-profit corporate entities on various corporate formation matters, mergers, acquisitions and governmental issues. He also advises clients regarding estate planning and administration matters. In addition, Mr. Leake focuses his practice on advising closely held and family businesses on ownership relations and succession planning issues.
He is active in the pro bono program at Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, assisting various charitable organizations in all aspects of corporate matters.
Mr. Leake joined Hinshaw in August 2002.
During law school, Mr. Leake served externships with both the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Honorable George Lindberg of the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois.
In addition to his other law school accomplishments, Mr. Leake was a member of the John Marshall Law Review, Phi Delta Phi and Staff Editor of the Review of Intellectual Property Law.
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Real Property Trust & Estate Law Section
- Young Lawyers Division
- Illinois State Bar Association, Trust and Estate Section
- Winnebago County Bar Association, Estate Section
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as an "Emerging Lawyer" by Leading Lawyers Magazine (2015)
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2012, 2014, 2015)
- “40 Leaders Under 40 Awards,” Selected by the Rockford Chamber of Commerce, for leadership in the community and work with the March of Dimes (2009)
Mr. Leake speaks to many organizations on a number of topics, including estate planning, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 ("HIPAA") and medical practice issues and recordkeeping. Some of his presentations include:
- "Learn about Succession Planning for your Business," Rock Valley College, Rockford, Illinois, April 2016.
- "Estate Planning," Wells Fargo LaLoggia Group Investment Discussion Series Seminar, Illinois, February 2016.
- "Business Succession Planning," Winnebago County Bar Association, Estate Planning Section, Rockford, Illinois, February 2016.
- "Estate Planning Update for Financial Advisors," Monarch Solutions, Rockford, Illinois, 2015.
- "Estate Planning Workshop," Rockford University, Rockford, Illinois, September 2014.
- "Wills vs. Trusts," Edward Jones, Roscoe, Illinois, November 2008.
- "Asset Protection in Estate Planning to Managing an Accounting Practice," MAP Group, Rockford, Illinois, June 2008.
- "Medical Records Law in Illinois," Lorman Education Services seminar, Rockford, Illinois, May 2008.
- "Asset Protection in Estate Planning" Winnebago County Bar Association, Estate Planning Section, Rockford, Illinois, May 2008.
- "Estate Planning Workshop," Grand Victorian, Rockford, Illinois, April 2008.
- "Estate Planning Workshop," Rockford Public Library Summer Reading Club, Rockford, Illinois, June 2006.
- "Current Estate Planning Issues (Including How to Prevent the IRS or Other ‘Undesirables’ from Being your Primary Beneficiaries)," Hinshaw’s 2005 Breakfast Seminar Series, Rockford, Illinois, April 2005.
- September 20, 2016
- April 1, 2015
- January 1, 2012
- December 19, 2016
- December 15, 2015
- December 2, 2014
- December 11, 2013
- November 27, 2012
- December 13, 2011
- Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 Amends Federal Estate, Gift and Generation-Skipping Tax LawsDecember 21, 2010Estate Planning Alert
- December 10, 2010
- Northern Illinois Division of the Illinois Chapter of the March of Dimes
- Board of Directors (2009-Present)
- Chairman of the Board of Directors (2009-2014)
Aldeen / United Cerebral Palsy of Blackhawk Region Committee of the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois
- Professional Advisors Council for the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois, Member
- Professional Advisors Council of Rockford Park District Foundation
- Leadership Rockford, Past Participant
- Actively involved in Our Savior's Lutheran Church
J.D., cum laude, The John Marshall Law School, 2002
- Member, The John Marshall Law Review
- Staff Editor of the Review of Intellectual Property Law
- Member, Phi Delta Phi
B.A., cum laude, Luther College, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois