Tim Etzkorn is a member of the firm’s Defense Litigation Practice Group. He has defended individuals, professionals and corporations from the time of the initial allegations of negligence or wrongdoing to conclusion on cases from complex professional liability to simple slip-and-falls. Tim has written, argued, and won dispositive motions, and has taken or defended over a hundred depositions of plaintiffs, defendants, and experts.
Tim joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in March 2012. Prior to joining the firm, he was an associate with Brinker & Doyen, L.L.P., in St. Louis, Missouri. During law school, he served as a judicial operations assistant to the Honorable Margaret M. Neill, Circuit Judge, 22nd Judicial Circuit of Missouri (City of St. Louis).
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, 2008 – Present
- Missouri Bar Association, 2008 – Present
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers (MODL), 2009 – Present
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), 2011 – Present
Examples of Mr. Etzkorn’s defense representation include:
- Represented Defendant Attorney and Law Firm in a legal malpractice action arising from a nearly two decade patent infringement suit in which Plaintiff claimed nearly $30 million in damages. Plaintiff Corporation alleged Defendant Attorney failed to properly advise them of the likelihood of success at the outset of the case and failed to properly prepare and argue before a Federal Court resulting in the reversal of a favorable verdict one year after a successful bench trial. Defendants were granted summary judgment arguing Plaintiff failed to prove causation.
- Represented attorneys and who allegedly failed to timely file necessary pleadings to collect a $100,000 judgment resulting in the dismissal of their client’s claim. Settlement was able to be negotiated prior to the filing of suit for a fraction of the judgment in the underlying action.
Medical Malpractice/Health Care:
- Represented Emergency Room Physicians, Radiologists, and Nursing Home personnel in lawsuits alleging breach of professional standards and failure to diagnose injuries/illnesses.
- Represented hospitals within two of the largest regional health care networks in general liability and premises actions. Tim has successfully defended hospitals by obtaining judgments using a Motion to Dismiss, a bench trial, and secured voluntary dismissals shortly before trial on three occasions after refusing to negotiate settlement.
- Represented international motorcycle and local dealership in a premises liability claim where Plaintiff alleged injuries during a sponsored motorcycle safety training course. Secured summary judgment arguing the binding nature of an exculpatory clause contained in a release signed by Plaintiff.
- Represented local developer sued in his personal capacity following the collapse of building which caused severe damage to neighboring homes. Secured summary judgment arguing there was insufficient evidence to support a legally supportable nexus between the developer and the LLC listed as the owner of the property.
- Represented flavoring seller in multiparty toxic tort actions arising from exposure to a chemical alleged to have caused severe lung impairment.
- Represented fireworks distributor/seller in an action filed by a minor alleging severe burns and permanent injuries as a result of allegedly faulty products misfiring during a 4th of July Celebration. Matter was able to be resolved through mediation.
- In addition to medical professionals and lawyers, Tim has represented insurance professionals and design professionals in claims for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and standard professional negligence claims.
- Tim has defended individuals in over one hundred lawsuits for issues ranging from car accidents to wrongful death.
J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, 2008
B.A., History and Sociology, Fordham University, 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri