Steven Vogel has a broad practice covering both litigation and transactional matters, including professional liability defense, commercial disputes, tax controversy, corporate law and commercial transactions. His clients include accountants, lawyers, real estate professionals and insurance agents.
Mr. Vogel has represented accounting firms of all sizes in lawsuits and claims involving the full spectrum of professional accounting services, including alleged embezzlement or fraud, negligent audit, tax, estate planning, and business valuations. He also works with accounting firms on proposed legislation involving the accounting profession in Florida. His professional liability practice also includes the defense of legal malpractice cases brought in Florida federal and state courts in connection with failed initial public offerings and other issues involving the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Mr. Vogel handles a wide variety of commercial litigation matters, including securities laws, tax laws, accounting standards, fraud investigations, employment disputes, partnership disputes, separations and dissolutions.
Before the Internal Revenue Service, Mr. Vogel has represented corporations and individuals in connection with tax audits. He also has represented taxpayers involved in tax preparer litigation against the Department of Justice.
In his corporate practice, Mr. Vogel advises clients on the formation of domestic and foreign corporations, limited liability companies, general and limited partnerships and joint ventures. He also assists with the creation of corporate, asset and stock purchase, shareholder, management, independent contractor, and other agreements. Mr. Vogel's corporate tax background is an asset he uses in consulting with clients on domestic and international tax matters in connection with formation and transaction issues.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in January 2015, Mr. Vogel was a partner in the Miami, Florida office of a national law firm headquartered in White Plains, New York.
For three years (2010–2012), Mr. Vogel served as a member of the Auditing Standards Board (ASB) of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). This role as a Standard Setter provides Mr. Vogel with in-depth knowledge of the standards that accountants are obligated to uphold. The ASB is the senior technical committee of the AICPA, which has the authority to issue auditing, attestation and quality control standards applicable to the performance and issuance of audit and attestation reports for non-public companies. Of the ASB's 19 members, Mr. Vogel held the one seat customarily reserved for an attorney whose practice involves matters of interest to auditors in public practice.
In 2011, Mr. Vogel was appointed by Florida Governor Rick Scott to serve on the Florida Board of Accountancy. This nine member Board is responsible for the regulation and governance of the accounting profession in Florida.
Mr. Vogel currently serves as an Adjunct Instructor at the University of Miami School of Business Administration where he teaches Business Law at the Undergraduate and Graduate level. He was previously a Professor at Florida International University for Eight years, where he taught business law, legal environment of business, real estate law and federal tax. He has also served as an adjunct professor at the University of Miami School of Law, where he taught federal taxation of real estate transactions.
During law school, Mr. Vogel served for one year as a Judicial Intern for the Honorable George C. Smith in the U.S. District Court (6th Circuit), which led to an offer of Judicial Clerkship.
- Florida Board of Accountancy
- Chair (2015)
- Vice Chair (2014)
- Member, appointed by Florida Governor Rick Scott and Confirmed by the Florida State Senate (2011 – present)
- Probable Cause Panel, Chair (2014)
- Probable Cause Panel, Member
- Legislative Affairs and Budge Committees, Member
- Florida Bar Grievance Committee "11C" in Miami Dade County
- Chair (2014)
- Member (2012 – present)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member Auditing Standards Board (2009 – 2012)
- National State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) Board Effectiveness and Legislative Affairs Committee, Member
- Dade County Bar Association, Real Property Committee (2009)
Mr. Vogel is a frequent lecturer on professional liability issues both within and outside of Florida.
"Getting yourself out of Hot Water," National Association of State Boards of Accountancy Annual Conference for Board of Accountancy Legal Counsel,Tampa Florida, March 2014.
- "Florida State Board of Accountancy Update," University of Florida Annual Accounting Conference, Gainesville, Florida, 2013.
- "The Anatomy of an Accountants Defense," CPA Associates International Annual Conference, Las Vegas, 2013.
- "The new AICPA Financial Reporting Framework for SME's," CNA Lawyers and Accountants Networking Conference – Expert Panel, Chicago, Illinois, 2012 and Las Vegas, 2013.
- "Accounting Malpractice Update," University of Miami Graduate School of Business, Continuing Professional Education Course for Certified Public Accountants, Miami, Florida, 2012.
- "The Clarity Project Update," CNA Lawyers and Accountants Networking Conference – Expert Panel, Orlando, Florida, 2011.
- "The Anatomy of an Accountants Defense," Florida Institute of CPA's, Miami, Florida 2011.
- "The Anatomy of an Accountants Defense," Accounting Update, Lipscomb University, Nashville, Tennessee, 2010.
- "The Impact of the Financial Crisis on Accountants & Lawyers," PLUS International Conference, San Antonio, Texas, 2010.
- "The Clarity Project," CNA Lawyers and Accountants Networking Conference – Expert Panel, Denver, Colorado, 2010.
- "The Anatomy of an Accountants Defense," Florida Institute of CPA's, Miami, Florida 2010 and 2009.
- "The Current Financial Crisis and its Impact of Traditional Professionals," PLUS E & O Symposium, San Diego, California, 2009.
- "Accounting Malpractice Update," Florida International University, Continuing Professional Education Course for Certified Public Accountants, Miami, Florida, 2008.
- "Be Careful When Counseling Marijuana Businesses," Daily Business Review, April 14, 2016.
- "The Janus Decision," Riding the E & O Line, Volume 3, Issue 3, published by the Defense Research Institute, 2011.
- "Supreme Court to review important securities case that may open the door to fraud suits against accountants," Of Mutual Interest, published by CPA Mutual Insurance Company of America, 2010.
- "Statement on Auditing Standards – Consideration of Fraud in a Financial Statement Audit," Of Mutual Interest, published by CPA Mutual Insurance Company of America, 2010.
- "Plaintiff's Fault as a Defense in Accountant's Malpractice Suits," The Attorney-CPA, Volume 43, Number 3, American Association of Attorney-CPAs, Summer 2008.
- "Comparative Negligence in CPA Malpractice Cases, Are CPA's Weathering the Storm?," For the Defense, Defense Research Institute, 2007.
- "Contract for Sale of Goods, Suing or Defending Action for Breach of Contract Under Florida's Commercial Code," LexisNexis Practice Guide, Florida Contract Litigation, Chapter 26, Matthew Bender, 2006.
- Florida Issues Ethics Guidance for Accountants Advising Marijuana Businesses H. Steven Vogel, Westley A. Holden
Lawyers for the Profession®
LL.M., Taxation, University of Miami School of Law, 2001
- Certificate of International Tax
J.D., Capital University School of Law, 1993
B.A., Pace University
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Tax Court