Stephen Klein is a business litigator. He focuses in the trial and appeal of disputes involving reinsurance, insurance coverage, and bad faith claims. Mr. Klein regularly advises insurers on issues of coverage and claims handling, retention of expert witnesses, allocation of defense expense and indemnity on claims and the reasonableness of defense fees.
Mr. Klein has tried and arbitrated cases in California, Oregon, Connecticut, New York, Arizona and Michigan on behalf of insurers and reinsurers. He is an ARIAS certified arbitrator.
Mr. Klein became a partner at Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2014 as a result of the merger of Hinshaw and Barger & Wolen LLP, where he had practiced since Barger's founding, in 1976.
- The State Bar of California, Member
- ARIAS-U.S., Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Insurance and Reinsurance Committee, Member
- Business Litigation Committee, Member
- Construction Law and Litigation Committee, Member
Mr. Klein's insurance litigation experience includes:
- Representation of cedents and reinsurers in arbitrations, and state and Federal courts for claims involving mass tort liability settlements, environmental clean-up, construction defects, and fraud in connection with viatical policies.
- Representation of primary and excess property and casualty insurers in bad faith and coverage litigation.
- Representation of life insurers against claims of bad faith claim handling and unreasonable refusal to pay claims.
- Representation of insurers in actions for rescission of policies.
- Defense of class action litigation on behalf of property and casualty insurers for claims alleging violations of the California Insurance Code, including the mandatory policy provisions of the standard form fire insurance policy.
- Defense of insurance regulatory litigation both before the California Department of Insurance and California courts.
- Prosecution of claims for recoveries of premium deposits from the California Insurance Guaranty Association.
- Prosecution of claims for recovery against policyholders of indemnity payments made under reservation of rights.
- Arbitration and mediation of insurance coverage and bad faith claims.
Mr. Klein has spoken at national conferences on reinsurance, insurance coverage and civil litigation issues. A selection of his presentations includes:
- "Reinsurance 101 – Understanding the Basics," IADC, webinar, October 2013.
- "Insanity in Action: Hiring the Same Small Pool of Arbitrators and Expecting Different Results," ARIAS-U.S. Spring Conference, San Diego, California, May 2010.
- "How Lawyers Can Improve the Reinsurance Arbitration Process," ARIAS–U.S. Spring Conference, May 2005.
- "Issuance of Insurance Policies," Chapter 9 (Revised), "California Insurance Law and Practice," LexisNexis Matthew Bender, 1991 and May 2011.
- "Reinsurance," Chapter 11 (Revised), "California Insurance Law and Practice," LexisNexis Matthew Bender, June 2010.
- "Issuance of Insurance Policies," "California Insurance Law & Practice," Matthew Bender, 1986.
J.D., Southwestern University School of Law, 1975
B.S., University of California at Los Angeles, 1972
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California