Stephanie Segalini represents clients in employee benefits litigation and class actions — including cases involving coverage, statutory penalties, benefits claims, and breach of fiduciary duty — in both federal and state courts. She has particular experience with life, health, disability and pension claims under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
Ms. Segalini has served as senior advisor and lead counsel on dispute resolution issues to some of the nation's largest insurance carriers, employers, employer-sponsored benefit plans, claims administrators, third-party administrators, plan administrators and broker groups. She also provides dispute resolution services in both presuit administrative proceedings and in state and federal litigation.
Ms. Segalini previously practiced employee benefits litigation with several other law firms, including Jackson Lewis P.C. and Akerman LLP. She began her legal career as an Assistant State Attorney with the Broward County State Attorney's Office, where she conducted approximately 35 jury trials and 100 nonjury trials.
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- "Recent Developments in Disability Claims Litigation," Legalworks 19th Annual ERISA Litigation Conference, Orlando, Florida, February 2007.
- "Benefit Claim Litigation," Legalworks 18th Annual ERISA Litigation Conference, Orlando, Florida, February 2006.
- "Insurance Fraud Investigations and Disability Claims," Akerman's Employee Benefits Litigation Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, September 2005.
- "The Analysis of a Disability Lawsuit," Akerman's Employee Benefits Litigation Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, February 2002.
J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 1996
B.A., with honors, Emory University, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida