Russ Klingaman helps professionals and members of the business, insurance, and aviation communities effectively leverage business opportunities, resolve disputes, reduce risks and find practical, effective solutions to legal challenges. Mr. Klingaman's practice is focused in the areas of aviation-related transactions and litigation; and protecting intellectual property — including trade secrets, copyrights, trademarks, and patents. He has handled many high-profile cases involving catastrophic personal injuries, major property damage, and very large business losses.
Mr. Klingaman has successfully represented the interests of a wide range of individuals, such as architects, doctors, engineers, farmers, hospitals, inventors, lawyers, pharmacists, pilots and veterinarians. Businesses he has represented include airlines, banks, construction companies, flight schools, health care providers, insurance companies, manufacturing firms, restaurants, retailers and software developers.
Aviation. As a licensed pilot, aircraft owner, adjunct professor of aviation law, and past president of the Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association, Mr. Klingaman has unique insights into aviation-related legal matters, including those involving the fast-changing legal landscape concerning unmanned aerial systems (UAS or "drones"). Mr. Klingaman helps clients with matters involving aviation accidents. He also helps clients deal with Federal Aviation Administration regulatory compliance and enforcement actions.
Intellectual Property. Mr. Klingaman has a robust practice helping businesses and individuals protect their intellectual property. This includes transactions and litigation. The transactional work encompasses licensing, assignments, nondisclosure agreements, etc. Litigation usually involves prosecuting or defending claims for misappropriation, infringement, breach of contract, unfair competition, etc.
High-Profile Personal Injuries, Property Damage, and Business Losses. Mr. Klingaman has handled many cases involving claims for millions of dollars in damages for either catastrophic personal injuries or huge business/property losses claims.
Appellate Litigation. Mr. Klingaman has handled numerous appeals and has made oral arguments to the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Seventh and Ninth Circuits, and the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
Mr. Klingaman joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in July 1991.
Mr. Klingaman is an adjunct professor at the Marquette University Law school, where he teaches Aviation Law.
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- President (2014–2015)
- President-Elect (2013–2014)
- Secretary (2011–2013)
- Board of Directors (2009–present)
- International Aviation and Transportation Safety Bar Association
- Aviation Insurance Association
- American Bar Association
- Aviation Committee of the Litigation Section
- Aviation/Space Committee of the Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- National Business Aviation Association
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Experimental Aircraft Association
- Helicopter Association International
Honors & Awards
- Named a 2015 "Leader in the Law" by the Wisconsin Law Journal
- Recognized numerous times as a "Super Lawyer" by Wisconsin Super Lawyers magazine
Mr. Klingaman's presentations include:
- "Wright Bros. v. Curtiss: The Flying Machine and Aileron Patent Wars," WACO Aviation Lecture Series, Ohio, September 29, 2016.
- "Unmanned Aircraft Systems Panel: Focus on Model/Hobby Flying Near Airports," Airport Operations & Land Use Seminar, Wisconsin Bureau of Aeronautics, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, September 20, 2016.
- "Use of Drones in Environmental Enforcement," 28th Annual Environmental Law Update, Madison, Wisconsin, September 14, 2016.
- "Wright Bros v. Curtiss: Patent Wars," EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, July 30, 2016.
- "Drones!," Wisconsin Community Media's Casting a Broad Net Spring Conference, Madison, Wisconsin, April 28, 2016.
"Drone Laws: 101," Environmental Law Society at Marquette Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, April 8, 2016.
- "Protection of Confidential Information, Trade Secrets, and Intellectual Property," Contract Drafting Issues in Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, January 2016.
- "Legal Issues Associated with Drones," Wisconsin Aviation Seminar, Madison, Wisconsin, October 2015.
- "Protecting Trade Secrets and Other Valuable Information From Misappropriation by Vendors, Customers, Consultants and/or Competitors," Complex Commercial Contracts Seminar: The Legal Principles You Need to Know for Effective Drafting, State Bar of Wisconsin, January 2015.
- "Advanced Intellectual Property Law," Trade Secrets and Trade Dress: Keeping Ahead of Threats, webcast, National Business Institute, December 2014.
- "Non-Compete Agreement and Trade Secret Disputes: Employer and Employee Strategies," Commercial Business Disputes and Litigation, video webcast, National Business Institute, November 2014.
- "The Aileron Patent Wars: How Attorney Misconduct and Bad Business Decisions Ruined Fortunes and Cost Lives with a Negative Impact on Allied Power in the First World War," EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, July 2014.
- "The Need for an Aircraft Lien Recording Law in Wisconsin," 2014 Wisconsin Aviation Conference, Wausau, Wisconsin, May 2014.
- "The Aileron Patent Wars: How the Historic Lawsuits Affected Fortunes, Lives, and World Affairs," National Park Service, Aviation Speaker Series, Dayton, Ohio, September 2013.
- “Drawing the Lines Between Misappropriation and Proper Appropriation of Valuable Business Information: Contractual Considerations for Legally Acquiring or Losing Potentially Confidential Information,” Complex Commercial Contracts: The Legal Principles You Need to Know for Effective Drafting seminar, Madison, Wisconsin, January 2013.
- “Legal Issues Associated With the Bed Bug Crisis,” Batzner’s Bed Bug Seminar, Brookfield, Wisconsin, May 2012.
- “The Legal Battles Between Glenn Curtiss and the Wright Brothers: Lessons for Pilots, Attorneys and Inventors,” Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association 2012 Winter Meeting, Waikoloa, Hawaii, March 2012.
- "Glenn Curtiss and His Legal Battles With the Wright Brothers: Aviation’s Historic Patent Litigation,” EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, July 2011.
- “Alcohol Related Enforcement Actions,” Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association Winter Meeting, Rancho Mirage, California, February 2009.
- “Indemnity Clauses and Insured Contracts: Expanding Coverage Beyond the Standard Aviation Insurance Policy,” Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association winter meeting, Miami Lakes, Florida, February 2008.
- “Regulations: What Every Pilot Should Know,” AOPA Air Safety Foundation, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, October 2007.
- “Transferring the Risk of Catastrophic Loss,” Hinshaw’s 2007 Insurance Services Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, May 2007.
- “Legal Aspects of Transportation – What Every Trucking Company Needs to Know About the National Transportation Safety Board: An Overview,” The Transportation Association of Milwaukee, Inc., Milwaukee, Wisconsin, March 1998.
- “The Evaluation and Handling of Product Liability Claims Against a Seller/Distributor,” Hinshaw’s Wisconsin Insurance Seminar, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, November 1995.
- “Wisconsin's 1995 Tort Reform Legislation and Related Issues,” John Deere Insurance Company, Moline, Illinois, June 1995.
Mr. Klingaman has earned awards for writing and has authored several articles, including:
- "The New FAA Part 107 for Unmanned Aircraft…Less Protection for Airports Than Before," Midwest Flyer Magazine, August/September 2016.
- "Ideas for Airports Dealing With Nearby Model Drone/UAS Operations," Wisconsin Airport Management Association Newsletter, May 2016.
- "Laws Governing Unmanned Aircraft Systems: Are They Clear & Consistent?," Midwest Flyer Magazine, April/May 2016.
- "New FAA Recreational UAS/Drone Registration Program: Better Than Nothing?," Midwest Flyer Magazine, February/March 2016.
- "Drone Law: Why All FAA Certificate Holders Should Be Aware of the NTSB Pirker Decision," Midwest Flyer Magazine, August/September 2015.
- "Hammondsport: One of the Most Important Places in the History of Aviation" and "President's Message," Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association Journal, Vol. XXXVII, No. 2, Summer 2015.
- "How the FAA Deals With Pilots Who Consume Alcohol, and Why Owning a Breathalyzer Might Be a Good Idea," Midwest Flyer Magazine, August/September 2014.
- "The Need for an Aircraft Lien Recording Law In Wisconsin," Midwest Flyer Magazine, June/July 2014.
- “The Federal Aviation Administration and Pilots Who Drink Alcohol: Dealing With Normal Use, Abuse and Addiction,” Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association Journal, Vol. XXXII, No. 1, Spring 2010.
- “Indemnity Clauses and Insured Contracts: Expanding Coverage Beyond the Standard Aviation Insurance Policy,” Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association Journal, Spring 2008.
- "The Restatement (Third) of Torts: Products Liability Claims and Nonsense in Wisconsin," CTCW Newsletter, Vol. X, No. 4, Fall 1995.
- "Predatory Pricing and Other Exclusionary Conduct in the Airline Industry: Is Antitrust Law the Solution to Controlling Anti-competitive Strategic Behavior?" DePaul Business Law Journal, Spring 1992.
- "The European Community and Liability for Cleaning up Abandoned Hazardous Waste Sites: Should the EC Follow the United States' Example?" Wisconsin International Law Journal, April 1991.
Articles and treatises of which Mr. Klingaman is co-author include:
- "Recreational Drones: Do Homeowners’ Insurance Policies Provide Coverage?," Claims Journal, August 4, 2015.
- "Liability Issues Related to Breast Cancer," Cancer of the Breast, 5th edition, 2002.
- "Will Architectural Work Law Have a Chilling Effect?," The National Law Journal, C18, February 2001.
- "Architectural Copyrights Recent Developments," Architectural Research Quarterly, Vol. 4, 2000.
- "Admissibility of Social Security and Workers’ Compensation Payments Associated With Prior Accidents," Federation of Insurance and Corporate Counsel Quarterly, Vol. 48, No. 2, Winter 1998.
- "Pretrial Conferences," Defense Counsel Training Manual, 2d edition, 1995.
- "Medical Malpractice Liability for Errors in Breast Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment," Cancer of the Breast, 4th edition, 1995.
- August 25, 2016
- August 25, 2016
- June 21, 2016
- June 8, 2016
- May 31, 2016
- April 6, 2016
- January 22, 2016
- December 21, 2015
J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School, 1991
- Editor-in-Chief, Wisconsin International Law Journal (1990–91)
M.P.A., Public Policy and Administration, University of Wisconsin, 1991
B.S., The University of Iowa, 1980, Political Science
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin