Ronald Kammer focuses on the representation of insurers nationally. He has been involved in many significant third party coverage disputes including cases that interpreted an insurance company’s duty to defend and indemnify, breach of policy conditions, claims involving bad faith and unfair and deceptive trade practices, as well as coverage obligations for construction defect, pollution, trademark and patent infringement claims.
Mr. Kammer also handles first party coverage disputes, including claims involving breach of policy warrants, business interruption, misrepresentation and fraud. He regularly provides advice to insurance carriers and policyholders on issues involving policy interpretation, claims handling practice and procedures, and the drafting of insurance policy provisions. Mr. Kammer also practices in general civil litigation including commercial litigation and legal malpractice.
He has tried cases and handled appeals involving bad faith as well as first and third party insurance coverage disputes including property, commercial general liability, excess and umbrella, professional lines, commercial and personal automobile, homeowners, fidelity bond and life insurance. In addition, Mr. Kammer has served as an expert in legal malpractice, insurance coverage, bad faith and attorney fee disputes.
Mr. Kammer is the Partner-in-Charge of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP’s Miami office. He is the National Business Unit Leader of the firm’s Insurance Practice and a past Business Development Partner and Regional Director for the firm.
- American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel (ACCEC), Fellow
- American Bar Association's Trial Evidence Committee Past National Co-Chair
- American Bar Association’s Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Past National Co-Chair
- Construction (2015)
- Advertising and Personal Injury Committee
- Bad Faith
- Associate Editor for the Committee’s newsletter Coverage
- Annual Meeting Co-Chair (2005)
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability for over 25 years
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in "The Best Lawyers in America®" since 2006 for Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law and Legal Malpratice Law - Defendants
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Florida Super Lawyers magazine since 2008.
- Chosen as one of the Florida Legal Elite™ for 2011 in the area of Insurance, by Florida Trend magazine, July 2011
- Named in Florida's Best Lawyers-Insurance Law 2012-13
- International Who's Who of Business lawyers Insurance and Reinsurance since 2011
- Named to South Florida Business Journal’s Power Leaders in Law & Accounting List since 2014
Mr. Kammer frequently lectures on coverage issues before professional audiences, addressing such topics as:
- Chair of the 2010 HarrisMartin Chinese Drywall Litigation Conference
- “When the Barn is Blazing: Recent Developments in Law on Montrose Endorsements, ‘Prior Knowledge’ Exclusions and Limitations, and the True Meaning of Fortuity”
- “Insurance Coverage Issues and Trends”
- “One Occurrence Becomes Two: Addison Insurance Co. v. Fay”
- “Has the Paradigm Shifted? The Role of Judicial and Legislative Activism in the Resolution of Insurance Coverage Disputes”
- “Critical Insurance Considerations”
- “Bankruptcy v. Limited Insurance Proceeds”
- “Insurance for Defective Construction in Florida" at the West Coast Casualty Conference in 2013 – 2015.
- “Top East Region Appellate Decisions at the 3rd, 4th and 5th Annual MCC Consultants East Coast Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference”
- “First Party Bad Faith”
- “Interpreting Lawyers’ Professional Liability Policies – Recent Decisions and Recurring Issues”
- “The Future of Litigation Management Guidelines: Options Beyond the Billable Hours”
- “The Enhanced Risk of Inconsistency in Coverage Litigation”
- “Tactical, Strategic and Ethical Issues Concerning The Prosecution of a Coverage Action During the Pendency of the Underlying Action"
- “Mediation and Construction Defect Coverage Issues”
- “Questions that Arise in Professional Liability Insurance Policies – the Who, What, How Many and How Much”
- “Insurance Issues that Impact Lawyers”
- “Emerging Bad Faith Issues”
- “Insurance Coverage and Declaratory Judgment Actions”
- “Insurance Coverage for Construction Defect Claims”
- “Insurance Coverage for Design Professionals”
- “Insurance Law: Third Party Coverage in Florida”
- “Settlement Considerations in Building Defect Cases”
- “The Role of Coverage Counsel in the Mediation of Construction Defect Cases”
- “Ethics Update for Florida Lawyers”
- “Issues Confronting Woman in Law firms”
- “What Everyone Wants to Know About Mediations” at the 2014 Annual Meeting for the Miami-Dade County Bench & Bar.
Mr. Kammer has written a number of professional journal articles relating to insurance coverage issues. Among them are:
- "Fifty-State Survey: Daubert v. Frye—Admissibility of Expert Testimony," American Bar Association, January 2017.
"Mediation from A to Z, and Where Trust is the Key" Daily Business Review, September 8, 2014.
- "Did the Court in Curran Tip the Scales in Favor of Policyholders or Just Insure that Consumers Obtain the Protection they Paid For" Daily Business Review, March 2014.
- "Economic loss doctrine returned to its roots," Insurance Day, April 4, 2013.
- “High Court asked if Ambiguity Resolved with Extrinsic Evidence,” co-author, Daily Business Review, June 5, 2012.
- “Something is Rotten in Denmark (and Florida) – Is there Insurance Coverage for the Chinese Drywall Problem?” co-author, HarrisMartin Chinese Drywall Litigation Conference, June 2009.
- “Can Excess Insurers Assert a Late Notice Defense?” Coverage, May/June 2003.
- “Is it Bad Faith to Settle on Behalf of One, But Not All of Your Insureds?” Coverage, January/February 2002.
- “Professional Liability, To Report or Not to Report,” Florida Lawyer, September 2001.
- “Professional Liability, Covered or Bare?” Florida Lawyer, September 2000.
- “Avoiding Bad Faith in Multiple Insured/Multiple Claims Situations,” Coverage, November/December 1998.
- “Can an Insurance Company Commit Bad Faith When Prosecuting Its Complaint for Declaratory Relief?” Coverage, September/October 1997.
- “Lead Poisoning: The Asbestos of the 1990s Claims, Liability & Coverage,” IDC Quarterly, First Quarter 1995.
- August 15, 2017
- May 26, 2017
- May 17, 2017
- May 10, 2017
- Ronald Kammer, Kent Keller, Michael Marick & Scott Seaman are Listed Among the International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers 2017January 12, 2017
- Hinshaw's Insurance Services Practice Group Recognized Nationally as a Tier 1 Firm in Insurance Law by U.S. News - Best Lawyers®November 1, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- Ronald Kammer, Kent Keller, Michael Marick & Scott Seaman are Listed Among the International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers 2016June 27, 2016
J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 1980
- Member, Moot Court Board
- Order of Barristers
B.A., cum laude, Macalester College, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida