Robert Lockwood focuses his practice in labor & employment law, professional liability defense and business litigation.
Mr. Lockwood represents public and private employers in all aspects of employment and labor relations law and related litigation. He has successfully defended companies against wage and hour class action lawsuits, as well as claims of discrimination, retaliation, harassment, and wrongful termination. He has experience in the traditional labor relations arena, defending against union campaigns and representation petitions, as well handling unfair labor practice charges and advising on collective bargaining issues. He also provides counsel on workplace policies and employee benefits, and drafts employment, severance, settlement, and trade secret agreements.
Mr. Lockwood also represents a variety of financial and professional services clients, including real estate agents and brokers, attorneys, insurance professionals, accountants, architects, engineers, in connection with a diverse range of professional liability claims.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in September 2015, Mr. Lockwood was an associate at Nossaman LLP. While in law school, Mr. Lockwood was a member of the Moot Court National Trial Team, and was a member of the Moot Court board. He was the recipient of a Samuel Lang Award and a CALI Award of Excellence in Labor Law, and completed an externship at Region 15 of the National Labor Relations Board in New Orleans, Louisiana. He volunteered at Tulane University's Legal Assistance Program and served the community in Tulane Law School's Mediation Clinic. Mr. Lockwood spent a summer studying at Humboldt University Law School in Berlin, Germany, where he received a Certificate of Advanced Study in Mediation.
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS), 2016 Northern California Chapter Steering Committee Member
- American Bar Association
- California State Bar – Labor & Employment Section
- San Francisco Bar Association
"Insurance Issues in Employment Law," BASF Program on Insurance Issues in Employment Law, San Francisco, California, September 16, 2016.
- "Successfully Navigating the Tripartite Relationship Between Insurers, Insureds, and Defense Counsel When Handling EPL Claims," Moderator, PLUS Workshop, San Francisco, May 2016.
- "2015 Employment Law Update," California Association of Community Managers, Inc. (CACM) Executive Webinar, July 2015.
- "Employment Discrimination & Retaliation: Insuring, Managing, and Preventing Claims," Travelers® Webinar, July 2014.
- "Making your Company Website More Accessible to the Disabled," Human Resources Executive, Fall 2014.
- "Referee Betting Scandal Brings Collective Bargaining and Commissioner Power Back to the Frontcourt in the NBA," 15 Sports Law. J. 137, Spring 2008.
- February 16, 2016Lawyers for the Profession®
J.D., Sports Law Certificate, Tulane University Law School, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2008
- Senior Articles Editor, Sports Lawyers Journal
B.A., magna cum laude, American History, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2005