Robert Hills concentrates his practice at Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in the area of health care law, with the core of his practice being in professional liability and medical malpractice defense. In that capacity, Mr. Hills represents hospitals, physicians, nurses, clinics and other health care institutions and providers in complex litigation. He handles all aspects of the litigation process including: pleadings, motion practice, briefing, arguing, depositions and jury trials.
In addition, Mr. Hills also maintains a federal criminal defense practice that revolves around Criminal Justice Act (CJA) appointments in the Central District of Illinois – Peoria Division. His cases there have included white-collar crime, controlled substances and firearms offenses.
Before joining Hinshaw in February 2017, Mr. Hills was an attorney at a Peoria-based general practice firm. There he represented clients throughout the State of Illinois in state and federal litigation, primarily involving disputed business contracts, commercial real estate and construction, trusts & estates, and employment discrimination matters.
During law school, Mr. Hills worked as a law clerk for the U.S. Department of Transportation, Office of the General Counsel, in Washington, DC. He supported the Office of the General Counsel in identifying and analyzing legal issues and assisted with research and memoranda on a $52 million dollar security contract bid protest.
- Abraham Lincoln Inn of Courts, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Peoria County Bar Association, Member
Honors & Awards
- Named as an "Emerging Lawyer" by Leading Lawyers Magazine (2015)
- Board Member of the Year, Thomas M. Cooley Journal of Practical & Clinical Law (2009).
- Successfully represented a lifetime trust beneficiary in preventing a judgment-creditor from liquidating the trust to satisfy its judgment against another beneficiary; affirmed on appeal.
- Successfully defended a trust beneficiary against allegations of intentional interference with a testamentary expectancy and fraud in a litigated estate valued at over $1 million dollars; summary judgment in favor of the defense.
- "Fee Schedules, Billing & Cash Flow," Law Practice Management Seminar, Peoria, Illinois, October 17, 2016.
- "Diligent Witness Preparation or Impermissible Coaching: Foster v. Chatman," 2016 Columbus Day Professional Responsibility Seminar, Peoria, Illinois, October 10, 2016.
- "Diligent Jury Selection or Discrimination: USA v. Brindley," 2016 Columbus Day Professional Responsibility Seminar, Peoria, Illinois, October 10, 2016.
- "The Fourth Amendment: Search & Seizure," Caterpillar Street Law Conference, Peoria, Illinois, November 3, 2015 and November 19, 2015.
- "Jury Selection in Illinois Courts," Nuts & Bolts of Trial Practice Seminar, Peoria, Illinois, April 1, 2015.
- "Basic Trial Presentation," Nuts & Bolts of Trial Practice Seminar, Peoria, Illinois, April 1, 2015
- "Young Volunteers," At Issue, WTVP 47, November 21, 2013.
- "U.S. Department of Transportation Joins Global Relief Efforts in Haiti," ABA Transportation Committee Quarterly, Spring 2010, Vol. 3, No. 2.
- Heart of Illinois United Way, Board of Directors, Vice Chair, Marketing and Communications
- Heart of Illinois United Way, Former Board of Directors, Generation United Executive Chair
- Heart of Illinois United Way, Former Marketing Committee Member
- Itoo Society, Former Board of Directors Member
- Prairie State Legal Services Volunteer Attorney
J.D., Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 2010
Senior Business Editor and Executive Board Member, Thomas M. Cooley Journal of Practical & Clinical Law
B.S., Commerce, DePaul University, 2005
Executive Board Member, Sigma Alpha Epsilon
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois