Robert Hess is a litigator who focuses his practice on insurance coverage disputes and business litigation. He also devotes part of his practice to both state and federal appellate matters. Mr. Hess' work in the field of insurance litigation primarily involves matters concerning coverage issues arising from individual and group insurance contract disputes, as well as ERISA-governed litigation.
In addition to handling numerous cases in the United States District Courts of California, Mr. Hess also has litigated several cases in the United States District Court in Nevada.
Mr. Hess joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2014 as a result of the merger of Hinshaw and the Los Angeles-based firm of Barger & Wolen LLP.
- The State Bar of California, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
A selection of Mr. Hess' representative matters includes:
- Hecht v. Paul Revere Life Ins. Co., 168 Cal.App.4th 30, 85 Cal.Rptr.3d 18 (2008)
- Nieto v. Paul Revere Life Ins. Co., Not Reported in Cal.Rptr.3d, 2006 WL 2106972 (2006)
- Rabinowitz v. Paul Revere Life Ins. Co., 91 Fed.Appx. 563 (9th Cir. 2004)
- Helus v. Equitable Life Assurance Society of the United States, 309 F. Supp. 2d 1170, 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 4360 (N.D. Cal. 2004)
- Scott v. Paul Revere Ins. Group, 23 Fed. Appx. 785 23 Fed.Appx. 785, 2001 WL 1580186 (9th Cir. 2001)
- Provident Life & Accident Ins. Co. v. John L. Henry, 106 F.Supp.2d 1002 (C.D. Cal. 2000)
- "In The Hot Seat," 2016 Eastern Claims Conference, New York, New York, March 14, 2016.
"The Future of Disability," Eastern Claims Conference, New York, New York, February 2015.
"Defending FRCP Rule 30(b)(6) Corporate Depositions in Disability Insurance Claims," ACI 17th National Advanced Forum on Litigating Disability Insurance Claims, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, January 2015.
- "Navigating the Aftermath of Cigna v. Amara and U.S. Airways v. McCutchen," ACI 16th National Advanced Forum on Litigating Disability Insurance Claims, New York, New York, January 2014.
- "The Death of the Self-Reported Symptoms Limitation?" Definitive Disability Conference presented by Barger & Wolen, Boston, Massachusetts, May 2013.
- "Legal Update: Unclaimed Life Insurance Benefits," 2012 Western Claim Conference, Indian Wells, California, August 2012.
- "How to Prepare For and Give an Effective Deposition," 2010 Western Claim Conference, Indian Wells, California, June 2010.
- "Introduction to Disability Fraud," 2009 Western Claim Conference, Indian Wells, California, June 2009.
J.D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California, 1995
B.A., University of California at Los Angeles, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California