Robert Cerny focuses his practice in corporate and regulatory matters, with particular emphasis in insurance regulation, transactions, financial analysis, disciplinary matters and market conduct examinations.
Mr. Cerny represents insurance companies, producers and other entities in all aspect of insurance regulation and related matters, including the handling of market conduct examinations, and the formation or acquisition of insurers and producers, as well as the establishment of insurance captive and debt cancellation programs.
Mr. Cerny joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2014 as a result of the merger of Hinshaw and the Los Angeles-based firm of Barger & Wolen LLP, where he began his legal career handling more than 20 rate rollback matters under Proposition 103.
- The State Bar of California
- Insurance Law Committee Business Law Section, California State Bar Business Law Section, Chair (2008 – 2009); Vice Chair (2007 – 2008)
- Association of California Insurance Counsel
Mr. Cerny's representative matters include Automotive Funding Group, Inc. v. Garamendi, 14 Cal.App.4th 846 (2003), a case of first impression holding that loss damage waiver was not insurance.
- "Super Group Internet Marketing," 23rd Annual Association of California Insurance Companies' (ACIC) General Counsel Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada, July 2012.
- "Recent Trends in Market Conduct Examinations," Barger & Wolen program, Los Angeles, California, December 2010.
- "Insurance and the Financial Crisis," moderator, Focus on the Economy Speaker Series Webcast, Business Law Section, California State Bar, March 2009.
- "Developments in California Insurance Regulation," panelist, Annual Conference of Association of California Insurance Counsel, Las Vegas, Nevada, July 2008.
- "Developments in California Insurance Law – 2008," co-author, Business Law News, Business Law Section, State Bar of California, March 2009
- "Developments in California Insurance Law – 2007," co-author, Business Law News, Business Law Section, State Bar of California, March 2008