Ranen Schechner is a litigator who focuses his practice on defending and counseling debt buyers, debt collection agencies, mortgage servicers and lending institutions on a variety of state and federal claims, including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Truth in Lending ACT (TILA), and Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA). He also represents mortgage lenders, servicers and investors in litigation arising out of the wrongful foreclosure, eviction actions, predatory lending violations, tax liens and title clearing actions. Mr. Schechner is experienced defending consumer class actions in both state and federal court. He also defends attorneys and other professionals, including extensive experience representing architects and engineers.
Mr. Schechner joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in June 2006. Previously he was an associate with Donovan Hatem LLP and Anderson & Kreiger LLP in Boston. His prior experience also includes serving as judicial clerk to the Honorable Maureen McKenna-Goldberg of the Rhode Island Supreme Court.
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
American Collector's Association, Members Attorney Program – Compliance Chair for State of Rhode Island
New England Collectors Association – Board of Directors
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by New England Super Lawyers magazine (2008-2013)
- "Retaining and Producing Client Files," West LegalEdcenter audiocast, July 2012.
- "Post Representation Responsibilities and Practices," a West LegalEdcenter live webcast, April 2010.
- Author of the following note: “Putting the Remedial Cart Before the Statutory Horse: the Ninth Circuit Reopens Debate on CERCLA’s Definition of Disposal,” 29 B.C. Invtl. Aff. L. Rev. 69 (2002).
J.D., Boston College Law School, 2002
- Certificate in Environmental and Land Use Law
- Editor and Note Author, Environmental Affairs Law Review, 2000-2002
- Recipient, Outstanding Graduate Student Award
B.A., cum laude, Brandeis University, 1999, Psychology and History
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island