Rafael Rivera focuses his practice in the representation and counseling of insurance companies in litigation and disputes involving insurance coverage, including environmental contamination and toxic-related tort claims.
Mr. Rivera also has experience in commercial litigation, representing clients in cases involving consumer fraud and deceptive business practices, breach of fiduciary duties and contractual disputes.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in April 2015, Mr. Rivera was an associate in a litigation firm headquartered in Chicago. Before entering private practice, Mr. Rivera served as a Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Judge Joan Powell, Illinois Circuit Court of Cook County, Law Division.
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
Honors & Awards
- Dean's List, Member
- CALI Award for Excellence, Mergers & Acquisitions and Criminal Procedure
- "Antitrust Law, Variant Patent Holdup Theories, and Injunctive Relief in Standard Setting Organizations," Illinois State Bar Association Section of Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Committee, Vol. 50, Issue 2, January 2013
- "E-Books Litigation Update: What’s Happening and Where’s It Headed," American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law Joint Conduct Committee, E-Bulletin 2012, Vol. 10, Issue 1
- "Negotiating the Pitfalls of Competitor Collaborations," American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law Joint Conduct Committee, E-Bulletin 2012, Vol. 9, Issue 2
- "Russia’s Newest Competition Law and its Effect on the Rule of Law," DePaul Rule of Law Journal, Fall 2010
- Latinos Progresando, Associates Board