Raenu Barod focuses her practice in commercial litigation and arbitration, with particular emphasis on reinsurance and insurance matters and disputes arising from hybrid insurance/capital market securitization products and transactions. Ms. Barod has acted in both US state and federal litigation and in US and international arbitration proceedings and has participated in a variety of insurance transactional and regulatory matters.
Throughout her legal career, Ms. Barod has worked on a broad range of issues important to the insurance and reinsurance industries. She has successfully represented and counseled a variety of US cedents and reinsurers as well as cedents and reinsurers from London, Europe and Japan on a wide range of matters, including fraud and misrepresentation, letters of credit, surety reinsurance issues arising from the collapse of Enron Corp., insolvencies, claims allocation, scope of coverage, commutations, treaty wordings, pre-hearing security and reinsurance issues arising from the destruction of the World Trade Center. For the last several years, her practice has focused on disputes arising from hybrid insurance/capital markets securitization products and transactions.
Ms. Barod became a partner at Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2014 as a result of the merger of Hinshaw and the Los Angeles-based firm of Barger & Wolen LLP.
- Council on Foreign Relations, Team Member, (2005-2010)
- Council on Foreign Relations, Member, Asia Society Independent Task Force on India and South Asia (2002-2003)
- ARIAS-U.S., Member, Forms and Procedures Committee
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Chair, Standing Committee on International Security Affairs (2001-2004)
- Council on International Affairs, Member (2004-present)
- American Bar Association, Member
- The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple of England and Wales
- "Conflict Resolution: Strategies for Resolving Disputes Quickly and Cost-Effectively," American Conference Institute, 10th International Advanced Forum on RUN-OFF AND COMMUTATIONS, New York, New York, April 2015.
- "Conflict Resolution: Strategies for Resolving Disputes Quickly and Cost-Effectively," American Conference Institute, 9th International Advanced Forum on RUN-OFF AND COMMUTATIONS, New York, New York, April 2014.
- "Dispute Resolution Mechanisms: The Pros – The Cons – The Innovations," 2013 AIRROC/R&Q Commutation & Networking Event, East Rutherford, New Jersey, October 2013.
- "U.S. Legal Update," Technical Meeting, International Alliance of Asbestos and Pollution Reinsurers, Norwich, United Kingdom, June 2009.
- "Issues Arising from DCO's: Topics," HarrisMartin, Reinsurance Arbitration and Mediation Conference, Miami, Florida, March 2009.
- "ADR Under the Microscope," AIRROC Matters, Vol. 9, No. 4, Winter 2013.
- "The Role of U.S. Foreign Assets Control Regulations in the War on Terrorism and its Impact on the (Re)Insurance Industry," The Review, November 2003.
- August 13, 2015