Pedro Hernandez focuses his practice in the areas of commercial litigation, construction litigation, coverage litigation and entertainment law. In addition, Mr. Hernandez represents insurers in commercial class actions in multidistrict litigation courts throughout the country. He has defended various carriers in MDL 2047 pertaining to Chinese drywall products liability litigation. Mr. Hernandez has tried several cases through verdict.
Mr. Hernandez also litigates complex commercial matters, including disputes involving Fortune 100/500 companies.
He represents owners, general contractors, construction managers and design professionals in all aspects of the construction process.
Mr. Hernandez joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in August 2007. Prior to joining Hinshaw, Mr. Hernandez worked for a construction law national firm. In addition to his practice, Mr. Hernandez serves as a member of the firm’s Mentoring Committee and Hinshaw’s Hispanic Network.
- Cuban-American Bar Association
- Dade County Defense Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association, Member of the Young Lawyers Division
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Florida Super Lawyers magazine (2014 & 2015)
Mr. Hernandez practices throughout the United States, but focuses particularly in the Southeastern region. A sample of his cases/decisions includes:
Tarragon Stoneybrook Apartments, LLC v. Summit Contractors, Inc., et al, in the Circuit Court of the Ninth Judicial Circuit and for Orange County, Florida. Case Number 2006-CA-010888 (Div. 32-- Business Court) (vacated a $10 million dollar ($13 million dollars with interest) judgment against insured and national carrier)
- Trovillion Construction & Development, Inc. v. Mid-Continent Casualty Company and Casa Jardin Condominium Association, Inc., 2014 WL 201678 (MD Florida, January 17, 2014) (no coverage for a $1.8 million consent judgment for failure to allocate)
- Vintage Properties, Inc. et al., v. Mid-Continent Cas. Co., United States District Court, Middle District of Florida. Case No. 10-CV-80836-PAS (summary judgment on behalf of the carrier based on the pollution exclusion barring coverage for Chinese drywall damages)
- Chinese Manufactured Drywall Products Liability Litigation (E.D. La. MDL No. 2047) (represented two major carriers in the litigation and in the $1 billion global settlement)
- Hermitage Ins. Co. v. Jack L. Hamilton Constr., Inc., Twentieth Judicial Circuit, Lee County, Florida, Case No. 08-CA-023245 (motion to dismiss, with prejudice, in favor of the carrier based on designated work exclusion)
- Mark Scherer, D.C., P.A., a/a/o Adrienne Gadson v. Bristol West, Palm Beach County Case No. 50-2006-SC-008811. (summary judgment on behalf of the carrier holding it properly exercised its right to cancel the policy for late payment despite the carrier’s history of prior reinstatements)
"Hot Topics in Florida Insurance Coverage" ABA Section of Litigation Insurance, Coverage Litigation Committee, May 2013.
"Proving Covered Damages: Litigating Construction Defect Cases Following Pozzi Windows and Auchter," ABA Litigation Section Presentation, Coral Gables, Florida, May 2013.
Mr. Hernandez has researched and edited a number of publications, including “Case Note: Rights and Accountability in Development (Raid) v. Das Air, Global Witness v. Afrimex: Small Steps Toward an Autonomous Transnational Legal System for the Regulation of Multinational Corporations,” by Larry Catá Backer, Melbourne Journal of International Law, March 28, 2009; and “Multinational Corporations as Objects and Sources of Transnational Regulation,” 14 ILSA Journal of International & Comparative Law.
Author of "Florida Courts Rejecting Prejudice as a Matter of Law in Certain Late Notice Cases," Hinshaw Insurance Coverage Alert, July 26, 2011
- July 26, 2011Insurance Coverage Alert
Pedro was born in Havana, Cuba and came to the United States with his mother at the age of 11. Today, he and his wife, Maria, reside in Miami, Florida.
Mr. Hernandez performs a substantial amount of pro bono work for the South Florida community.
J.D., The Pennsylvania State University, The Dickinson School of Law, 2006
B.A., History, Ramapo College of New Jersey, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida