Paul Nicolosi helps organizations leverage their opportunities and mitigate their risks. He leads client projects that include corporate finance, economic development incentives, mergers and acquisitions, new product and service line development, and operational efficiencies.
Mr. Nicolosi provides an entrepreneurial perspective honed from decades of founding, growing, operating and selling businesses to national and publicly traded companies and through hundreds of client engagements. His counsel is also supported by his law degree and his ongoing participation in professional development programs, such as Consulting (Harvard University) and Negotiation (Northwestern University).
Mr. Nicolosi has led strategic and risk mitigation projects and has provided value creation across numerous industries including: aviation, economic development, healthcare, manufacturing, real estate and venture capital.
Mr. Nicolosi is a partner with Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP and President of Hinshaw Consulting, LLC. Previously he was the Managing Partner of Nicolosi & Associates (1990) and Founder / President of the Buckley Companies (1997).
Mr. Nicolosi began his legal career in his family’s law firm and built its affiliated real estate consulting business. In 1993, he founded Midwest Title & Surety Agency, Inc. (now known as Stewart Title Co. of Illinois), which he sold to Stewart Title Guarantee (NYSE:STG) in 1995 and remained on as its president and CEO until 1997.
Mr. Nicolosi has been an active member of the National League of Cities, where he served as Vice-Chair of its CityFutures Panel on Public Finance. He is a member of the board of directors of the Illinois Tax Increment Association, and a member and investor of the Rockford Area Economic Development Council. Mr. Nicolosi is a past member of the Illinois Municipal League’s Legislative Committee and serves on a number of closely held corporate boards.
- National League of Cities, Member
- CityFutures Panel on Public Finance, Past Vice-Chair
- Illinois Tax Increment Association, Member of the Board of Directors
- Rockford Area Economic Development Council, Member and Investor
- Illinois Municipal League’s Legislative Committee, Past Member
- Co-founder and investor in one of the Midwest’s largest angel networks.
- Consultant for a health care organization’s partnership with a state university and a private investor to create a venture fund to invest in biomedical innovation.
- Founder of regional title agency that provided services to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development in five states and which Mr. Nicolosi sold to the nation’s third largest title insurer (NYSE: STG).
- Lead consultant for creation of an aviation enterprise for the family office of three of the U.S.’s wealthiest families.
- Financial advisor to one of the nation’s largest independent steel erectors.
- Consultant for one of the nation’s largest health care system’s development of a health care management consulting unit.
- Lead negotiator for a local government’s incentives for a $1.5 billion intermodal rail facility.
- Lead consultant for coalition of five local governments’ investment in a $40 million sport tournament venue.
- “Bundled Payments,” Hinshaw’s Annual Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2012.
- “Tough Times Require Creative Solutions,” Illinois Municipal League 2010 Annual Conference, Springfield, Illinois, September 2010.
- “Surviving Tough Economic Times,” League of Wisconsin Municipalities 2009 Conference, Madison, Wisconsin, October 2009.
- “Negotiating with Developers,” Illinois Municipal League 2009 Annual Conference, Springfield, Illinois, October 2009.
- “Getting the ‘Right’ Deal for your Community,” Illinois Municipal League 2009 Annual Conference, Springfield, Illinois, October 2009.
Mr. Nicolosi has spoken at and is a published author for state and national organizations on the topics of deal structuring, economic development, real estate economics and legal issues. His publications include:
- “Illinois Jobs Recovery Law – Local Government Collaboration Leads to Quick Success,” Illinois Municipal Review, May 2011.
- “The ‘New Normal’ – Hot to Keep Investing in Local Capital Projects,” Illinois Municipal Review, November 2010.
- “Innovative Infrastructure Financing – A Guide to Comprehensive Financial Planning for Municipalities,” Public Management Magazine, December 2008.
- Chapter 14 in “Purchase of a Newly Constructed Home,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE), 2008.
- “A Guide to Comprehensive Financial Planning for Municipalities,” Illinois Municipal Review, July 2007.
- Keith Country Day School, Member of the Board of Trustees and Past Treasurer