Patrick Poston focuses his practice in health care law and litigation. His litigation experience extends to commercial litigation, commercial transportation litigation, insurance coverage disputes, contract litigation, federal disability law and torts. Mr. Poston is involved in all phases of the litigation process including drafting and arguing evidentiary, procedural and dispositive motions; taking and defending depositions; drafting responses and answers to written discovery requests; and trial.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Mr. Poston was an associate in the Peoria headquarters of an Illinois firm where he gained litigation experience.
In addition to his other law school accomplishments, Mr. Poston was a recipient of the Scholar in Law Merit-based scholarship and of an Excellence in Alternative Dispute Resolution award at commencement. He competed on the ABA Representation in Mediation Competition Team, the ABA Regional Business Negotiation Team, and was the winner of the 2008 1L Negotiation Competition at Wash U. Mr. Poston was also a co-founder and President of the Education Law and Policy Society.
Prior to his legal career, Mr. Poston was a middle school teacher in St. Louis, Missouri as a part of Teach for America. He also worked as a private English language tutor in Guatemala.
He speaks conversational Spanish.
- American Bar Association, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Peoria County Bar Association, Member
- Diversity Committee Member
- Young Lawyers Committee Member
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- IDC Trial Academy Participant, 2014
- Defense Research Institute
- Successful representation of a Federal equity receiver and investors to obtain a multi-seven figure settlement against an investment advisor and qualified custodian for the benefit of the Receivership Estates.
- First chair of Illinois state jury trial which resulted in successful defense of defendant railroad where jury returned verdict less than plaintiff's final pretrial demand and under jurisdictional threshold.
- Summary judgment in wrongful death claim on behalf of defendant railroad, affirmed on appeal Lough v. BNSF Railway Co., 370 Ill.Dec. 734 (3rd Dist. 2013).
- Dismissal with prejudice of claim for professional malpractice on behalf of defendant real estate appraiser, affirmed on appeal Heyde v. Glassey, No. 3-13-0171, 2014 WL 350525 (Ill. App. 3 Dist. Jan. 29, 2014)(unpublished opinion).
- Obtained partial summary judgment on plaintiff's Federal Safety Appliance Act claim, a negligence per se statute, on behalf of defendant railroad, Willis v. BNSF Railway Co., No. 11-CV-1208, 2013 WL 869952 (C.D. Ill. March 7, 2013) (not reported in F.Supp.2d). Following the Court's grant of partial summary judgment, the remaining claim was settled, along with an additional law suit as well as a whistleblower claim, for less than the stipulated lost wages figure in the initial suit.
- Represented third-party defendant in premises liability case. After moving for summary judgment on behalf of third-party defendant, case was settled without any contribution from client.
- Represented a trailer company co-defendant in high exposure trucking case. After moving for summary judgment on behalf of the trailer company, case was settled with nominal contribution by the client.
- "Public Act 98-548: New Time Constraints on Settling Defendants," Peoria County Bar Association, Civil Practice CLE, January 2014
- "Tort Law Update," Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Statewide CLE Series, September 2013
- "Business and Employee Record Retention and Production: What Should We Keep and What Must Be Produced?" Heyl Royster Commercial Litigation Seminar, January 2013
- "Tort Law Update," Cincinnati Insurance Claims Seminar, November 2012
- “Punitive Damages in Trucking Litigation: Recognizing Risk and Assessing Exposure,” DRI In Transit – The Newsletter for the Trucking Law Committee (2012).
- October 4, 2016
Patrick is a St. Louis Cardinals fan. He enjoys spending time outdoors at his parents' farm in Southeast Missouri, baseball and long distance running.
- Assistant Baseball Coach, Peoria Catholic Schools' Youth Baseball
J.D., Washington University School of Law, 2011
- Senior Editor, Jurisprudence Review Law Journal
B.A., Illinois Wesleyan University, magna cum laude, Philosophy and Political Science, 2005
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Varsity Baseball
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois