Nabil Foster focuses his practice on the defense of consumer class action lawsuits and the defense of attorneys in professional liability and disciplinary matters.
Mr. Foster handles all phases of litigation and case management, including briefing and arguing motions, taking and defending depositions, responding to discovery, counseling clients and conducting settlement negotiations.
He has substantial experience in commercial and civil litigation, and has represented clients in both state and federal courts on matters including breach of contract, ERISA, employment discrimination, consumer fraud class actions, products liability matters, insurance coverage, professional liability, eminent domain and Section 1983 civil rights cases.
Mr. Foster joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in December 2007. For three years prior to joining Hinshaw, he was an associate at Pugh, Jones, Johnson & Quandt, P.C. Prior to his tenure at Pugh Jones, he was an associate at Christensen & Ehret for several years where he focused on insurance coverage litigation. He began his legal career as appellate law clerk with the Illinois Court of Appeals for the First District.
Throughout law school, Mr. Foster served a series of clerkships. In 1998, he clerked for the Public Corruption and Special Prosecution Unit of the United States Attorney’s Office, District of Massachusetts in Boston. Also in 1998, he clerked for the United States Attorney’s Office, Northern District of Illinois in Chicago. In 1999, he clerked in the Enforcement Division of the Securities and Exchange Commission Regional Office in Chicago; and in 2000, Mr. Foster clerked as an extern to the Honorable Robert W. Gettleman, United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois. Finally, from 2000 to 2001, he was a law clerk at the white collar criminal defense firm of Cotsirilos, Tighe & Streicker, Ltd.
Mr. Foster’s law school achievements included serving as the Business Editor of the Journal of International Law and Business. In addition, he was Vice President of the Black Law Student Association.
Prior to his legal career, Mr. Foster designed and consulted on logistical operations and procedures for transportation companies. In addition, he trained to be a chef in Europe.
- Northwestern University School of Law
- Trial Advocacy Program
- Adjunct Faculty Member
- Northwestern University’s Alumni Club of Chicago, Past-President
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- “The Code of Ethics,” Mandatory Training for Exempt Employees of The Clerk of The Circuit Court of Cook County, January 2013.
- “Communications with Law Firm General Counsel – Latest Developments Regarding In-Firm Privilege,” Hinshaw University, January 2013.
- March 5, 2013
- January 9, 2013
- April 5, 2012
- August 3, 2011
- February 9, 2011
- November 3, 2010
- Minority Legal Education Resources Inc., Former Member of the Board of Directors and an Instructor
- Harvard Club of Chicago, Volunteered as an Alumni College Admissions Interviewer
- Northwestern University Legal Clinic, Represented an African Political Asylee from the Democratic Republic of Congo (Brazzaville), Volunteer
- Provides pro bono consulting services to economic development projects for Afro-Colombian populations in Chocó, Colombia, and the Pacific Coastal region of Colombia, South America
- Serves on the advisory board for the National Homecomers Academy, a model reentry program for formerly incarcerated individuals, i.e., a "Homecomer"
J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 2000
A.B., Philosophy, Harvard College, 1994
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin