Ms. Culligan has over 25 years of experience working in a wide variety of transactional legal areas, concentrating in commercial real estate, including development, acquisitions, leasing and financing, as well as general corporate and commercial matters. In addition to practicing law, as a commercial real estate broker, Ms. Culligan has provided tenant representation services to corporate clients, including market research and analysis, site selection, economic incentive analysis, drafting and negotiating letters of intent and lease agreements. She is also experienced with detailed financial analysis comparing site options, programming/design and construction consulting, sale and acquisition of owned real estate, and related advisory services.
Throughout her practice, Ms. Culligan has advised clients generally regarding various business matters, including organizational matters, from formation of corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies, to drafting and negotiating shareholder agreements, buy-sell agreements. She also regularly handles non-compete agreements, employment and consulting agreements, asset purchase agreements, private placement memoranda, and various commercial contracts.
As a business owner herself, Ms. Culligan has the unique ability to combine a practical business-oriented perspective with experienced legal counsel. She offers her clients a solution-driven legal viewpoint that is intertwined with the pragmatic business ramifications for a comprehensive range of general corporate and contractual matters in the commercial real estate and hospitality industries.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, as General Counsel of CSM Corporation, she managed the legal aspects and provided business consultation for its diverse portfolio of commercial (office, industrial, and retail), multifamily, and hotel properties, advising CSM with respect to general corporate matters, financings, development, commercial leasing, acquisitions and dispositions, hospitality and franchise matters on a national basis. Previous to CSM, Ms. Culligan was a Principal and General Counsel at Manchester Companies, a turnaround firm, focusing primarily on real estate restructurings and bankruptcy matters.
Ms. Culligan initially practiced for 18 years in private practice, representing investors/developers, business owners, and commercial real estate companies in acquiring, developing or selling real estate projects, commercial leasing for both landlords and tenants, and real estate financing. In addition, she represented banks, insurance companies, and financial institutions in various complex commercial lending matters, including letter of credit facilities and other credit enhancements in connection with numerous tax exempt bond financings for the development of multifamily projects, as well as structuring workouts for problem real estate loans. She is also the sole owner of her own investment company, owning and managing multifamily properties in Minneapolis, handing condo conversions and renovations.
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Member
A selection of Ms. Culligan's representative transactions includes:
- Legal representation and management for a multi-state portfolio of more than 100 commercial properties, including 8 million square feet of industrial space, two million square feet of retail space, one million square feet of office space, more than 3,000 apartments in 20 complexes, and 38 franchise hotel property more than 5,400 rooms.
- Negotiation and drafting of contracts, compliance matters, general commercial and corporate matters, and financial and management advisory services.
- Creation of and cultivation of an entrepreneurial business providing tenant representation brokerage services.
- "General Counsel: The New Corporate Super Hero?" Consero General Counsel Forum, San Diego, California, May 2013.
- "The Art of the Deal (Entertainment Law)," Minnesota CLE, April 2009.
- "Buyers and Sellers in Residential Real Estate Transactions," Hennepin County Bar Association, February 2004.
- "Basic Real Estate Practice," Minnesota State Bar Association, July 2003.
- Larimore v. Comptroller of the Currency: Agency-ordered liability under Section 1818(b)(1), 71 MINN.L.REV. 1560 (1988)
Ms. Culligan is president and owner of Luminous3 Finishes, LLC, a WBE Certified
commercial and industrial painting company.
- Progress Valley, Inc., Chair, Facilities Committee
- Progress Valley, Inc., Chair, Board of Directors
Certificate, Mini Master in Real Estate Development, University of St. Thomas, 2004
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School, 1988
- Order of the Coif
- Editor, Law Review
B.A., summa cum laude, Drake University, 1985
- Phi Beta Kappa