Michael Hatting focuses his practice in business transactions with particular emphasis on commercial real estate, commercial lending, general corporate and regulatory law, including commercial real estate acquisitions and dispositions, project development, historic rehabilitation tax credits, joint venture financing, property management and leasing.
Mr. Hatting's clients include a number of large commercial real estate lenders in the Twin Cities market, and he serves as outside general counsel for a number of realty and asset fund companies. Mr. Hatting was instrumental in the formation and management of an asset fund that invests in and turns around distressed properties.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Mr. Hatting was an attorney in a firm headquartered in Saint Paul. He also previously served as the Executive Vice President and General Counsel to Exeter Realty Company.
Mr. Hatting has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Minnesota Law School. He has presented continuing education seminars on a variety of real estate topics, including a case study of the mixed-use Custom House St. Paul project, commercial real estate loan documentation and closing, real estate agency law, environmental liability assurances, and utilizing tax credits and grants to finance projects.
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Mr. Hatting's representative matters and transactions as developer's counsel include:
- A historic mixed-use apartment and hotel redevelopment project in St. Paul
- Historic loft apartments in St. Paul
- Mixed-use residential condominiums and retail center in Minneapolis
- Many lease transactions representing landlords with national retailer, large office, and medical office clinic tenants
- The formation and management of real estate investment and development funds
- St. John's Episcopal Church, Past Volunteer
- Burroughs Community School Site Council, Past Volunteer