Michael Ford focuses his practice in insurance services, with particular emphasis in insurance coverage litigation. He handles both first party and third party insurance coverage. Mr. Ford is involved in all phases of the litigation process, including research, discovery, motions and court appearances. In addition, he drafts coverage opinions and appellate briefs, and initiates declaratory actions.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in November 2014, Mr. Ford spent two and a half years as an associate at Walton Lantaff Schroeder & Carson LLP in Fort Lauderdale, Florida where he specialized in insurance coverage litigation and appellate law. He began his legal career as a judicial law clerk in the Connecticut Judicial Branch – Superior Court, in New London, Connecticut. During law school Mr. Ford was the Supervising Writing Dean's Fellow of the school's Academic Achievement Program and an Associate Editor of the University of Miami Inter-American Law Review. He also worked as a research assistant to one of his professors, and was a judicial intern to the Honorable Linda Ann Wells of the Florida Third District Court of Appeal in Miami, Florida.
- Stephens v. Mid-Continent Cas. Co., 749 F.3d 1318 (11th Cir. 2014) (interpreting employer's liability and workers' compensation exclusions in CGL policies, as well as enforceability of Coblentz agreements)
- Albanese Popkin Hughes Cove, Inc. v. Scharlin, 141 So. 3d 743 (Fla. 3d DCA 2014) (determining prejudgment interest on a damages award when date of loss is not fixed)
- "How Bromfield v. Mukasey Correctly Applied U.S. Immigration Law in a Victory for Civil Rights and a Scathing Rebuke of Jamaica's Pervasive Homophobia," 40 U. Miami Inter-Am. L. Rev. 495 (2009)
University of Pennsylvania Alumni Interview Program
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Miami School of Law, 2010
- Associate Editor, University of Miami Inter-American Law Review
B.A., Economics, University of Pennsylvania, 2007
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida