Maureen Pearcy is an appellate practitioner who represents clients in a wide variety of civil matters in state and federal courts. Ms. Pearcy focuses her practice primarily in insurance coverage disputes, including professional liability and first-party claims. In addition to insurance coverage, she has appellate experience in the areas of consumer class actions, products liability, catastrophic injuries and torts. Ms. Pearcy also provides appellate assistance and advice to trial attorneys during litigation.
Ms. Pearcy has handled appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, all Florida District Courts of Appeal and the Florida Supreme Court. She has also assisted in drafting amicus briefs involving issues affecting the insurance and maritime industries.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in December 1999, Ms. Pearcy worked for three years with a five-attorney law firm representing plaintiffs in class action lawsuits against the tobacco industry. Ms. Pearcy also held a judicial clerkship at Florida’s Eleventh Judicial Circuit, where she gained experience in civil, probate, and family litigation, as well as appeals.
While in law school, Ms. Pearcy interned at the United States Department of Justice, Environment and Natural Resources Division. She also clerked for several years with a trade association for the petroleum industry.
Honors & Awards
- Named as one of Florida Trend's “Florida Legal Elite” for 2015. The "Legal Elite" represent fewer than 2% of the active Florida Bar members who practice in Florida.
Ms. Pearcy has successfully represented clients in both state and federal appellate court, including the following decisions:
- Mt. Hawley Ins. Co. v. Dania Distrib’n Ctr., Ltd., 513 F. App’x 890 (11th Cir. 2013)
- Citizens Prop. Ins. Corp. v. Zunjic, ___ So. 3d ____, 2013 WL 1810640 (Fla. 3d DCA May 1, 2013)
- GeoVera Spec. Ins. Co. v. Hutchins, 504 F. App’x 851 (11th Cir. 2013)
- Mid-Continent Cas. Co. v. United Rentals, Inc., 62 So. 3d 1173 (Fla. 4th DCA 2011)
- Citizens Prop. Ins. Corp. v. Mango Hill Condo. Ass’n 12, Inc., 54 So. 3d 578 (Fla. 3rd DCA 2011)
- Citizens Prop. Ins. Corp. v Galeria Villas Condo. Ass'n, 48 So. 3d 188 (Fla. 3rd DCA 2010)
- Schvartzman v. Citizens Prop. Ins. Corp., 41 So. 3d 909 (Fla. 3d DCA 2010)
- Sweeney v. Citizens Prop. Ins. Corp., 43 So. 3d 842 (Fla. 1st DCA 2010)
- Liberty Surplus Ins. Corp. v. First Indem. Ins. Serv., Inc., 31 So. 3d 852 (4th Cir. 2010)
- Empire Indem. Ins. Co. v. Winsett, 325 F. App'x 849 (11th Cir. 2009)
- Zurich American Ins. Co. v. Frankel Enter., 287 F. App'x 775 (11th Cir. 2008)
- Thomas v. George, Hartz, Lundeen, Fulmer Johnstone, King & Stevens, P.A., 525 F.3d 1107 (11th Cir. 2008)
- Van Tran v. City of Miami, et al., 261 F. App'x 266 (11th Cir. 2008)
- Clarendon Nat’l Ins. Co. v. Muller, 237 F. App'x 451 (11th Cir. 2007)
- Mahgoub v. Miami-Dade Cnty. College, No. 05-11520, 2006 WL 952278 (11th Cir. Apr. 13, 2006)
- Mt. Hawley Ins. Co. v. Sandy Lake, 425 F.3d 1308 (11th Cir. 2005)
- “Truth or Consequences: The Importance of Making Truthful Disclosures in the Application Process,” at Hinshaw’s Annual Insurance Services Symposium, in Chicago, Illinois, October 2010.
- "Property Law Update," at Windstorm Insurance Network Regional Conference, in Atlanta, Georgia, May 2011.
Provided pro bono work on behalf of local non-profit groups.
J.D., cum laude, American University Washington College of Law, 1995
B.A., with honors, University of Pennsylvania, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida