Matthew Watson focuses his practice in insurance coverage litigation and professional liability litigation, with particular emphasis on the defense of lawyers and law firms against liability claims and disputes.
Mr. Watson joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in June 2011. Previously he was for one year a judicial law clerk with the Rhode Island Superior Court.
While in law school, Mr. Watson was a legal intern in the chambers of the Honorable O. Rogeriee Thompson when she was a Rhode Island Superior Court judge. He was a summer associate in 2009 with Wadleigh, Starr & Peters PLLC, in Manchester, New Hampshire.
During his undergraduate studies he was an editor of the McGill University Undergraduate Journal of History.
Following his undergraduate studies, Mr. Watson interned in the chambers of the Honorable Lawrence Kahn, U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York.
In addition to his other law school accomplishments, Mr. Watson was a member of the honors program and received a full-tuition dean’s scholarship. He received the Gary Bahr Scholarship Award for the Highest Average in Contracts & Torts, and was also the recipient of CALI Awards for the highest grade in Administrative Law, Contracts II, Legal Drafting: Contracts, Legal Methods I and II, Payment Systems, Sales, Secured Transactions, Torts I and Trial Advocacy.
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- National Business Institute (NBI)
Honors & Awards
- Named as Rising Star in the area of Professional Liability Defense by New England Super Lawyers Magazine, 2013, 2014 and 2015. This designation is reserved for less than 2.5 percent of all attorneys in New England.
Mr. Watson’s presentations include:
- "Legal Ethics for Everyday Practice," National Business Institute, Providence, Rhode Island, June 2015.
- "Legal Ethics of E-Mail," National Business Institute, Providence, Rhode Island, June 2014.
- "Litigating Insurance Coverage Claims: From Start to Finish," National Business Institute, Providence, Rhode Island, June 2013.
- "Trouble Where You Least Expect It: Claims Against Lawyers for In-Concert Liability," a West LegalEdcenter live webcast, February 2013.
- "Attorney-Client Privilege Waivers in the Defense of Depositions," a West LegalEdcenter live webcast, May 2012.
- "Rhode Island Supreme Court rejects continuing representation doctrine and reaffirms need for expert testimony in legal malpractice action," American Bar Association Standing Committee on Lawyers' Professional Liability, March 2016.
"Attorney for trustee does not owe duty of care to trust beneficiary in light of conflicts of interest between trustee and beneficiary," American Bar Association Standing Committee on Lawyers' Professional Liability, March 2016.
- "Attorneys ethically prohibited from "ghostwriting" on behalf of pro se litigants without disclosure to tribunal," American Bar Association Standing Committee on Lawyers' Professional Liability, June 2015.
- "New Hampshire Claims Handling Guidelines," Claims & Litigation Management Alliance.
- "First Circuit Raises Troubling Questions: Rosciti v. Insurance Company of the State of Pennsylvania," co-author,The Bankruptcy Strategist, Volume 29, No. 7, May 2012.
- "Venturing into the Impenetrable Jungle: How California’s Expansive Public Nuisance Doctrine may Result in an Unprecedented Judgment against the Lead Paint Industry in the Case of County of Santa Clara v. Atlantic Richfield Company," 15 Roger Williams U.L. Rev. 612 (2010).
- Survey and Comment, “Rhode Island v. Lead Industries Association, Inc.,” 14 Roger Williams U. L. Rev. 509 (2009).
Lawyers for the Profession®
- October 26, 2015
- May 5, 2015
- March 5, 2013
- December 17, 2012
- November 13, 2012
- Insurance Agent's Misrepresentations at Time of Sale Binds Insurer Notwithstanding Contrary Policy ExclusionOctober 3, 2012Insurance Coverage Alert
- Excess Carrier Obligated to Provide Coverage Notwithstanding Bankrupt Insured’s Inability to Pay Underlying Retained LimitJanuary 10, 2012Insurance Coverage Alert
J.D., magna cum laude, Roger Williams University School of Law, 2010
- Executive Articles Editor, The Roger Williams University Law Review
B.A., with honors, History, McGill University, 2007
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island