Martin Rosen represents insurers and other large corporations in sophisticated litigation matters in both state and federal courts. He focuses his practice in the area of insurance bad faith litigation, with particular emphasis in the areas of disability, life and health bad faith law; long term care; ERISA litigation issues; annuity suitability and related issues; insurance agency law; class action law; unfair trade practice litigation; and financial institution and general business litigation. Mr. Rosen frequently advises his insurer clients on ways to minimize their exposure to bad faith litigation. He practices at both the trial and appellate levels.
Mr. Rosen became a partner at Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2014 as a result of the merger of Hinshaw and the Los Angeles-based firm of Barger & Wolen LLP.
- The State Bar of California, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- International Claim Association, Member
Dorfman v. Mass. Cas. Ins. Co., 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 156796 (C.D. Cal. 2015)
- Petrus v. New York Life Ins. Co., 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 79306 (S.D. Cal. 2015)
- Leslie v. United of Omaha Life Ins. Co., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 154871 (C.D. Cal. 2014), aff’d, 2016 U.S. App. LEXIS 19348 (9th Cir. 2016)
- Massachusetts Casualty Insurance Company v. Katz, 2014 WL 12572912 (C.D. Cal. 2014)
- Carey v. United of Omaha Life Ins. Co., 1 F. Supp. 3d 1039; (C.D. Cal. 2014)
- Glassman v. Crown Life Ins. Co, 2013 U.S. App. LEXIS 21312 (9th Cir. 2013)
- Margalit v. United Omaha Life Ins. Co., 837 F.Supp.2d 1056 (C.D. Cal. 2012)
- Mony Life Ins. Co. v. Marzocchi, 857 F. Supp. 2d 993 (E.D. Cal. 2012)
- Hake v. MassMutual, 2011 U.S. Dist. Lexis 87584 (D. Nev. 2011)
- Roth v. Madison National Life Insurance Co., 702 F. Supp. 2d 1174 (C.D. Cal. 2010)
- Evans v. Mutual of Omaha Ins. Co., 2008 WL 802709 (Cal. App. 2nd 2008)
- Hecht v. Paul Revere Life Ins. Co., 168 Cal. App. 4th 30 (2008)
- Monarch Life Ins. Co. v. Selby, 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 84182 (C.D. Cal. 2008)
- Pralinsky v. Mutual of Omaha Ins., 2008 WL 4532563 (N.D. Cal. 2008)
- Finnell v. Equitable Life Assur. Soc’y, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 85355 (E.D. Cal. 2007)
- Fidelity & Guar. Life Ins. Co. v. Albertson, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 87209 (S.D. Cal. 2007)
- Richter v. Aetna Life Ins. & Annuity Co., 2003 Cal. App. Unpub. Lexis 4104 (2003)
- Richter v. Aetna Life Ins. & Annuity Co., 96 Cal. App. 4th 1143 (2002)
- Ortiz v. Royal Maccabees Life Ins. Co., 32 Fed. Appx. 934; 2002 U.S. App. Lexis 5652 (2002)
- Siebert v. Standard Ins. Co. Group Long-Term Disability Policy, 220 F. Supp. 2d 1128 (C.D. Cal. 2002)
- Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau v. City of Los Angeles, 997 F.2d 620 (9th Cir. 1993)
Mr. Rosen is a sought-after speaker at national conferences concerning insurance bad faith litigation. He was the chair of the 2013 Definitive Disability Conference and is the chair of the 2015 Conference, which is taking place in Boston on October 22-23, 2015. A selection of his presentations includes:
"Disability Mediations: Tips From an Outside Counsel," Definitive Disability Conference 2, Boston, Massachusetts, October 2015.
- "Mock Disputed Disability Claim Mediation," International Claim Association, Chicago, Illinois, October 2013.
- "Mock Disputed Disability Claim Mediation," International Claim Association, Orlando, Florida, October 2012.
- "Disability Jeopardy!" 2012 Eastern Claim Conference, February 2012.
- "What's New Legally in Insurance Disability Bad Faith," 2010 Western Claim Conference, Indian Wells, California, June 2010.
- "Point/Counter Point: The Plaintiff and Defense Bar Speak Out on Dealing with Bad Faith Claims in Disability Insurance Litigation, American Conference Institute, Litigation Disability Insurance Claims Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, June 2010.
- "Disability Jeopardy!" 2010 Eastern Claims Conference, New York New York, March 2010.
- "Mediating the Litigated Disability Lawsuit," New England Claim Association, Springfield, Massachusetts, November 2008.
- "Mediating the Litigated Disability Lawsuit," International Claim Association, 99th Annual Educational Conference, Palm Desert, California, September 2008.
- "Disability Legal Update, A Nationwide Review of Disability Bad Faith Litigation," American Conference Institute, 10th National Advanced Forum on Resolving Disability Insurance Claims & Litigation, Boston, Massachusetts, June 2007.
- "Legal Update: California Disability Litigation," Eastern Claims Conference, March 2006.
- "Disability Roundtable," Western Claim Conference, June 2005.
Mr. Rosen has been interviewed and quoted in a number of publications, and was the subject of a Law360 Q&A in June 2013.
- "A Trove of Interesting Disability Cases: Reviewing 2014 Cases," Seventh Annual Legal Disability Update, Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, December 2015
- "A Medley of Interesting Disability Cases: Reviewing 2013 Cases," Sixth Annual Legal Disability Update, Barger & Wolen LLP, August 2014.
- "ERISA Long Term Disability Claim Barred By Failure to Exhaust Administrative Remedies," co-author, DRI's The Voice, Volume 13, Issue 20, May 21, 2014.
- "An Ensemble of Interesting Disability Cases," Fifth Annual Legal Disability Update, Barger & Wolen LLP, Spring 2013.
- "A Cavalcade of Interesting Disability Cases," Fourth Annual Legal Disability Update, Barger & Wolen LLP, Summer 2012.
- "A Smorgasbord of Interesting Disability Cases," Third Annual Legal Disability Update, Barger & Wolen LLP, Fall 2011.
- "A Cornucopia of Interesting Disability Cases," Second Annual Legal Disability Update, Barger & Wolen LLP, July 2010.
- "A Potpourri of Interesting Disability Cases," Legal Disability Update, Barger & Wolen LLP, Fall 2009.
- "A Prequel of Interesting Disability Cases," Legal Disability Update, Barger & Wolen LLP, Fall 2008.
- "A Defense Primer," Chapter 30, "Shernoff, Insurance Bad Faith Litigation," LexisNexis, 2005
- "Whose Book is it Anyway?" Insurance Journal, 1992
- "Pilot Life's Dramatic Impact, 10 Los Angeles Lawyer 37, October 1987
- "Insolvency of Insurers," California Insurance Law and Practice, Matthew Bender, 1986
- Six Things Insurers Need to Know About the DOL's Proposed Procedural Protections for Disability ClaimantsDecember 8, 2015Life, Health & Disability Law Alert
Mr. Rosen is also a magician member of the Magic Castle, a private social order devoted to the advancement of magic.
Mr. Rosen has served in the local community as a Judge Pro Tem.
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, 1982
M.B.A., University of California at Los Angeles, 1982
B.A., summa cum laude, University of California at Los Angeles, 1978
- Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California