Marissa Delinks focuses her litigation practice in the area of professional liability litigation, defending malpractice actions brought against lawyers, accountants, insurance agents and brokers, real estate professionals, financial advisors and computer technology professionals. She also handles commercial litigation, insurance coverage litigation and has an active appellate practice.
Ms. Delinks is experienced in all aspects of trial practice, including discovery and motion practice, taking and defending depositions, trying cases, and preparing and arguing post-trial motions. Her appellate experience includes handling a wide variety of civil appeals in state and federal courts, involving issues of contract law, insurance coverage, legal malpractice, ERISA, real estate related issues, constitutional law and surety law. Ms. Delinks also provides appellate assistance and advice to other trial attorneys during the litigation process.
Ms. Delinks joined the Boston office of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP upon its opening in July 2005. She was with the firm previously in its Ft. Lauderdale office from 2002 to 2004. She is the Leader of the firm’s Professional Lines Practice Group.
From 1999 to 2002, she was a branch director in the legal division of Spherion Corporation, a Fortune 500 human capital management company. In addition, Ms. Delinks was an attorney director for the Miami office of The Wallace Law Registry. She also spent three years as an associate with the Boca Raton law firm of Weiss & Handler, P.A., where she handled commercial and general liability litigation matters. Previously, she completed a Judicial internship with The Honorable Stephen T. Brown, United States Magistrate, Southern District of Florida.
- The Florida Bar
- American Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by New England Super Lawyers magazine (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
Ms. Delinks has successfully represented clients in both state and federal appellate and trial courts. Her published decisions include:
- Gargano v. Liberty Intern. Underwriters, Inc., 572 F.2d 45 (1st Cir. 2009).
- Phillips v. Prairie Eye Center, 530 F.3d 22, (1st Cir. 2008).
- Reliance Ins. Co. v. City of Boston, 71 Mass. App. Ct. 550 (2008).
- Cordi-Allen v. Halloran, 470 F.3d 25 (1st Cir. 2006).
- Diamond v. Automobile Ins. Co. of Hartford, Ct., 890 So. 2d 1248 (Fla. 3d DCA 2005).
- Acosta v. The District Board of Trustees of Miami-Dade Community College, 905 So. 2d 226 (Fla. 3d DCA 2005).
Her presentations include:
- "Legal Malpractice Claims Trends: Fixed or Fluxed?," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2016.
- "Self-Representation: Is a Penny Saved Really a Penny Earned?," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, February 2015.
- "The Insurance Marketplace and Considerations," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2014.
- "Insurance Marketplace Update," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2013.
- "Employment Practices / Management Liability: Exposures of an Aging Work Force," Chubb webinar, September 2012.
- "Truth or Consequences: The Importance of Making Truthful Disclosures in the Application Process," Hinshaw’s Annual Insurance Services Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, October 2010.
- "Post Representation Responsibilities and Practices," West LegalEdcenter live webcast, April 2010.
- "Fraud Prevention and the Rules of Professional Conduct in Real Estate Transactions," West LegalEdcenter live webcast, January 2009.
- "Understanding Your Legal Malpractice Insurance Policy," West LegalEdcenter live webcast, January 2008.
- "Disaster Preparation and Recovery," West LegalEdcenter live webcast, July 2007.
Ms.Delinks’ publications include:
- "Other People’s Money: A Lawyer’s Obligation to Safeguard Property Belonging to Others," The Quarter Hour®, Volume IV, 2008.
- "AICPA Standards and the Duty of Care: The Ceiling or the Floor," Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS) Journal, August 2007.
- Co-author, "AICPA Standards and the Duty of Care: The Ceiling or the Floor," Hinshaw’s Professional Lines newsletter, June 2007.
- December 12, 2011
- May 31, 2011
- January 31, 2011
- December 15, 2010Professional Lines Alert
- California Court Holds That Sellers Agents Must Disclose When Their Clients' Property Is Overencumbered by DebtOctober 18, 2010Professional Lines Alert
- August 27, 2010Professional Lines Alert
- August 10, 2010
- July 28, 2010
Miss Massachusetts, 1990
Competed in the Miss America Scholarship Pageant in September 1990
During her tenure as Miss Massachusetts, Ms. Delinks served as the spokesperson for both the American Red Cross and the American Cancer Society
J.D., Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center, 1994
- Member, Nova Law Review
- Member of the Nova Moot Court Society
- Freshman Moot Court Competition semi-finalist
- Chief Student Prosecutor of Honor Code
- Recipient of the Leo Goodwin Scholarship Endowment
- Received a Book Award in Trial Advocacy
B.A., University of Massachusetts, 1988; Political Science
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts