Lora Zimmer focuses her practice in corporate and business transactions, with a particular focus on the business and regulatory needs of health care clients.
Ms. Zimmer represents physician groups, federally-qualified health centers, and clinics, as well as dentists, chiropractors, and other health care providers. She regularly serves as general counsel for health care clients, advising them on corporate compliance programs, responding to potential privacy breaches, traditional and alternative forms of payer contracting, mergers and acquisitions, employment law, physician recruitment and contractual matters, and other issues.
Ms. Zimmer also advises general business clients on entity formation, commercial transactions, and review and negotiation of various contracts, including shareholder agreements, employment contracts and non-compete agreements.
In addition to her corporate and health care practice, Ms. Zimmer also assists school districts and educational institutions in complying with Title IX, the Clery Act and related laws through development and implementation of sound policies and investigation processes. A trained Title IX investigator, she provides prompt, thorough investigations and objective reporting in response to alleged violations of schools' sexual misconduct policies.
Ms. Zimmer joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in February 2005 after having served the local community as Assistant District Attorney with the Outagamie County District Attorney's Office.
Association of Title IX Administrators, Member, (2014–Present)
- Outagamie County Bar Association, Member, (2005–Present)
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member, (2008–Present)
- Wisconsin Bar Association, Member, (2003–Present)
- Wisconsin Bar Association, Health Law Section, Member, (2008–Present)
- Women in Management—Fox Cities, (2009–2013)
Honors & Awards
- Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for ethics and legal ability
"Sexual Misconduct in Education: An Introduction to Title IX," Outagamie County Bar Association, Appleton, Wisconsin, January 2016.
- "Title IX Team Training: Preparing Educational Institutions to Comply with OCR Guidelines," Appleton, Wisconsin, July 2015.
- "Title IX Team Training: Preparing Educational Institutions to Comply with OCR Guidelines," Ripon College, Ripon, Wisconsin, June 2015.
- "Conducting Title IX Investigations," Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, February 2015.
- "Conducting Title IX Investigations," national webinar, Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, November 2014.
- "Conducting Title IX Investigations," Hinshaw's Lunch and Learn Series Program, Appleton, Wisconsin, September 2014.
- "Business Associate Agreements and Business Associate Requirements," Part Two of Hinshaw's Three-Part Webinar Series on the HIPAA Omnibus Rule, August 2013.
- "Bundled Payments," Hinshaw's Annual Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2012.
- "Minor, Incompetent and Incapacitated Patients: How to Obtain Consent, Maintain Privacy and Get Paid When Dealing With Patients Who Can't Speak for Themselves," Revenue Cycle Co-op / AAHAM Wisconsin Chapter Fall Conference, Appleton, Wisconsin, October 2012.
- "Payer/Provider Contracting: The Buck Starts Here," Wisconsin Medical Society's 13th Annual Midwest Coding & Practice Management Symposium, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, September 2012.
- "Simplifying the Complexities of Vendor, Payer and Other Contracts," Wisconsin Medical Society seminar "From Chaos to Calm: Managing a Medical Practice in a Complex Environment," Waukesha, Wisconsin and Green Bay, Wisconsin, May 2012.
- "Legal Considerations in Telemedicine," Hinshaw’s Annual Healthcare Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2011.
- "Health Care Transparency in Wisconsin," Wisconsin Medical Group Managers Association, live webinar, October 2010.
- "Health Care Transparency in Wisconsin," Wisconsin Clinic Credit Managers Association, Sheboygan, Wisconsin, October 2010.
- "Thorny Issues in the Health Care Setting," Wisconsin Medical Society’s "GPS for Health Law" seminar, Milwaukee and Green Bay, Wisconsin, June 2010.
- "Electronic Medical Stimulus Opportunities," Hinshaw’s 2009 Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2009.
- "Negotiating Reimbursement Terms with Private Payer Insurance Companies," Hinshaw’s Health Care Law Breakfast Briefing, Appleton, Wisconsin, October 2009.
- "Medical Records Law in Wisconsin," Lorman Education Services seminar, Appleton, Wisconsin, November 2008.
Ms. Zimmer is the author of a number of firm Health Care Alerts and Practice Tips on assorted topics, including EMTALA, ERISA and HIPAA. Her publications include:
- "The ABCs of ACOs," Wisconsin Medical Journal, Volume 110, Number 4, August 2011.
- "Wisconsin makes significant changes to HIV consent and disclosure requirements," Wisconsin Medical Journal, Volume 129, Number 3, 2010.
- May 18, 2016Appointments Serve to Re-Generate and Add to Diversity of Firm Leadership
- May 18, 2016
- November 30, 2011
- February 23, 2017Hinshaw School Law Alert
- May 19, 2016Hinshaw School Law Alert
- January 4, 2016Health Law Alert
- September 30, 2015Health Law Alert
- April 6, 2015Health Law Alert
- US Department of Health and Human Services Issues Updated “Special Advisory Bulletin on the Effect of Exclusion from Participation in Federal Health Care Programs”May 29, 2013Health Law Alert
- February 21, 2012Health Law Alert
- February 28, 2011Health Law Alert / Medical Litigation Alert
- Court Strikes Down Budget Provision Authorizing Injured Patients and Families Compensation Fund RaidJuly 20, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- Health Care Reform Law Changes Medicare GME for Hospitals and Allows GME Payments for FQHCs and RHCsJuly 19, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- June 2, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- Wisconsin to Collect Assesments From Critical Access Hospitals, Use Funds for Rural Health Care ProgramsApril 26, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- April 15, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- March 23, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- March 10, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- February 12, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
Lora lives in her hometown of Appleton, Wisconsin. She and her husband are the proud parents of two young daughters. In her free time, she enjoys gardening and vegetarian cooking.
- Women's Fund for the Fox Valley Region, Serves on the Grants Committee
- St. Elizabeth Hospital Foundation, Served on the Women's Golf Benefit Committee