Lawrence Moelmann devotes a substantial portion of his practice to handling surety bond claims, fidelity bond claims, probate bond claims and public official bond claims. He also represents contractors, developers, owners and lenders in construction and real estate disputes.
In addition, he represents financial institutions in litigation involving loan transactions and defaults. Finally, Mr. Moelmann has handled a wide variety of complex commercial litigation claims.
Mr. Moelmann joined Hinshaw in 1973. He has held a number of leadership posts in the firm, including having served as a co-leader of the firm’s Real Estate & Construction Group and as a member the firm’s Executive Committee.
- American Bar Association, Fidelity and Surety Committee
- Chair (2010–2011)
- Previously Served as Vice-Chair for 15 years
- International Association of Defense Counsels, Fidelity and Surety Committee, Past Chair
- Defense Research Institute, Fidelity and Surety Committee, Past Chair
- National Bond Claims Association
- Surety Claims Institute
- Chicago Surety Claims Association
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in the categories of Insurance / Insurance Coverage / Reinsurance Law and Commercial Litigation
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2009–2010)
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
Mr. Moelmann has also lectured on numerous topics to national audiences at seminars sponsored by the American Bar Association, the International Association of Defense Counsel, the Defense Research Institute, the National Association of Independent Sureties, the Chicago Surety Claims Association and the Surety Claims Institute. Mr. Moelmann co-chair of “The Law of Performance Bonds: A New Look at Today’s Issues,” a program sponsored by the Fidelity & Surety Law Committee of the Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS) of the American Bar Association in May 2009. He also presented “Pursuing Claims Against Design Professionals and Other Third Parties” as part of the program.
Mr. Moelmann has served as an editor and author for many books published by the American Bar Association, including:
- “The Law of Performance Bonds,” co-editor.
- “The Law of Performance Bonds, Second Edition,” co-editor.
- “Liability of the Principal and Indemnitors to Indemnify and Reimburse the Surety”; chapter co-author in both editions of “The Surety’s Indemnity Agreement: Law and Practice.”
- “Annotated Bankers Blanket Bond,” assistant editor.
- “Payment Bond Manual, Third Edition,” contributor, Wisconsin section.
He has published numerous articles in national journals on topics involving surety law, fidelity bond claims and construction defaults.
- Lincoln College, Served as Trustee for 28 years
- Lincoln College, Past Vice-Chair of the College Board
- Lake Geneva Country Club, Past Director and Officer
J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan School of Law, 1973
A.B., magna cum laude, Princeton University, 1970
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois