Kristen Perkins handles complex insurance disputes involving a broad range of insurance coverages including employment, directors & officers, property, and commercial general and professional liability. Ms. Perkins devotes her practice to assisting clients with all facets of insurance law including initial coverage determinations, coverage opinions, negotiation, litigation, and extra-contractual disputes. Ms. Perkins also devotes a substantial portion of her practice to the defense of a wide variety of labor and employment claims with particular emphasis on matters involving the defense of federal and state discrimination claims including third-party claims involving disability accessibility, including website and technology accessibility claims.
Ms. Perkins has substantial experience in litigation management and electronic discovery and is a frequent presenter on emerging issues and trends in labor and employment.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Ms. Perkins was for two years a partner in the Fort Myers office of a business law firm headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida. She began her career and spent a number of years at a large international law firm in New York City practicing high stakes insurance coverage work before returning to Florida. During law school Ms. Perkins was a law clerk for the United States Attorney's Office in the Appellate Division and she worked as a research assistant in alternative dispute resolution.
In addition to her other law school accomplishments, Ms. Perkins served as President of the Moot Court Board and was the recipient of the C.A.L.I. Book Award for Employment Law. She received a Dean's Certificate of Achievement in Business Law, and was a member of the Honor Society of Bar and Gavel. Ms. Perkins was a Minority Participation in Legal Education Merit Scholar.
- The Florida Bar, Member
- The New York Bar, Member
Honors & Awards
- Lee County Bar Association and the Guardian ad Litem Program's 2010 Distinction for Pro Bono Services to the Dependency Court
- Recently obtained the dismissal of a wage and hour suit under the FLSA in the Middle District of Florida.
- Successfully argued appeals before the Second District of Court Appeals on leaseholder rights and family law issues.
- Represented interests of a national organization with the City of Fort Myers regarding the First Amendment rights of a protest group and the leaseholder interests of the nonprofit organization.
- Served as national counsel for a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in nationwide "bet the company" product liability litigation.
- Defended a major insurance carrier in a high stakes coverage dispute from formulation of pre-trial strategy to trial preparation and favorable settlement.
- Defense counsel to premier global financial services firm in securities litigation case from discovery to favorable settlement.
- Served as regional counsel for a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in a nationwide class action product liability action.
- "2016 Employment Law Update – From Retaliation to Cutting Edge Evidence Being Offered in Employment Cases. What's Old is New in the Employment Legal Landscape (and What's New is New)," CLM Annual Conference, Nashville, Tennessee, March 2017.
- "Navigating the ADA, FMLA and Worker's Compensation Maze: Coverage Complexities, 'Hot Button' Accommodation Issues and Accessibility Claims (Including Recent Heightened Focus on Website Accessibility), and Solutions for Minimizing Exposure to Disability Discrimination/FMLA Claims," American Conference Institute 25th National Conference on Employment Practices Liability Insurance, New York, New York, January 2017.
- "Technology/Website Accessibility: The Legal Landscape and Where are We Headed?", Chubb North America EPL Group, Jersey City, NJ, May 2016.
- "Emerging Trends in Employment Litigation: Spotlight on Medical Cannabis in the Workplace, Website and Technology Access Claims and Joint Employer Liability," Southwest Employment Practice Liability CLM Conference, Dallas, Texas, November, 2016.
- "The Dire Financial Consequences of Misclassifying Your Employees," Daily Business Review, May 23, 2017.
- Pro Bono Attorney ad Litem on behalf of local area foster children
- Southwest Florida Museum of History Foundation, Member. President, 2009–2010; Chair, USO Endowment Gala, 2009 and 2013
- Junior League of Southwest Florida, Member Community Advisory Board
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Miami School of Law, 2002
- Member, Business Law Review
B.A., Political Science/Public Policy, The George Washington University, 1998
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida