Kourtney Mulcahy focuses her practice in the areas of domestic and foreign trademark clearance and prosecution, domain name dispute resolution, brand selection, unfair competition, copyright registration and enforcement, right of publicity, and intellectual property litigation. Part of her practice also focuses on client counseling, including: identifying, defining and maximizing the intellectual property that has or needs protection; trademark clearance opinions and searches; counseling and monitoring to confirm that intellectual property rights are used properly and effectively; negotiation and drafting of licenses, assignments, and other agreements related to the intellectual property rights obtained; creating enforcement programs and procedures that promote effective use of the intellectual property; and policing against improper use of the intellectual property rights of others.
She represents clients in the areas of entertainment, technology, sports, pharmaceutical, cosmetic, consumer products, manufacturing, food products, healthcare, retail, restaurant, financial, commercial, educational and charitable services.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in September 2001, Ms. Mulcahy was a law clerk with Palm Pictures/Manga Entertainment Inc., Chicago, where she prepared copyright registrations for Japanese animated films and reviewed various entertainment contracts. She also served as a Judicial Extern for the Honorable Cheryl A. Starks of the Cook County Circuit Court and as a Law Clerk with the City of Chicago Office of Corporation Counsel.
As an undergraduate, Ms. Mulcahy was a member of the University of Illinois Women’s Golf Team from 1993 to 1997, and an Academic All Scholar Winner (formerly called Academic All American) in 1996.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as an "Emerging Lawyer" by Leading Lawyers Magazine (2015, 2016)
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine. (2010)
- "Challenges in Defending IP in the Age of the Internet," co-author, Chapter 8, Thompson Reuters Westlaw’s Aspatore Books publication entitled, “Managing Intellectual Property in Cyberspace: Leading Lawyers on Developing an Effective Internet IP Strategy,” 2012 edition.
- “Lanham Act Extended for Trademark Infringement Occurring in Foreign Nations,” Inside Counsel, February 22, 2011.
- “Disco Musician Dispute Clarifies the Extraterritorial Application of the Lanham Act,” published in The Business Suit, a publication of the Defense Research Institute’s Commercial Litigation Committee, June 2008.
- Co-author, “The Defense of Intellectual Property Misuse after Illinois Tool Works v. Independent Ink,” an article in Defending Intellectual Property Claims – 2006, Defense Research Institute, October 2006.
- Co-author, “Manufacturer vs. Exclusive Distributor: Who Owns the Trademark?” published in The Business Suit, a publication of the Defense Research Institute’s Commercial Litigation Committee, February 2006.
- April 1, 2015
- Kourtney Mulcahy and Jane Schlicht Author Chapter in “Managing Intellectual Property Issues in Cyberspace”July 10, 2012
- January 1, 2012
- Kourtney Mulcahy Author's Article, "IP: Lanham Act Extended for Trademark Infringement Occurring in Foreign Nations," in InsideCounselFebruary 22, 2011
- August 25, 2011Intellectual Property Update
- February 23, 2010
Kourtney has a variety of interests, including sports, art appreciation, theater and volunteering.
LL.M., The John Marshall Law School, 2004, Intellectual Property Law
J.D., The John Marshall Law School, 2001
B.A., University of Illinois, 1997
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois