Kirk Pinkerton focuses his practice in corporate and tax law. Since 1975 he has represented businesses, health care entities and high net worth individuals with sophisticated business, tax and estate planning needs.
Mr. Pinkerton has substantial experience in both federal and state tax matters, corporate law, health care law, employee benefits and business litigation. He has implemented stock and asset sales, acquisitions and mergers of client businesses.
Mr. Pinkerton represents health care clients in matters concerning Stark, anti-kickback laws and other compliance issue, including whistleblower actions. He also represents them in transactions, investigations and taxation matters. As examples, he has:
- Structured and negotiated the sale of a pediatric specialty practice to a prestigious university hospital
- Obtained an Internal Revenue Service Private Letter Ruling for a local hospital foundation involving tax reorganization of a for-profit subsidiary to avoid unrelated business taxable income
- Provided special tax counsel to a local hospital foundation on a variety of tax and exempt organization-related issues
- Negotiated successful settlements of False Claim Act investigations with the Office of Inspector General on behalf of physician medical groups; implemented and monitored corporate integrity agreements
- Implemented the sale of a healthcare network
- Assisted clients in connection with investments in ambulatory surgery centers and specialty hospitals
- Advised clients on physician recruitment and medical directorship agreements.
Mr. Pinkerton joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in April 2009. Previously, he was the President, Managing Director and name partner of Pinkerton and Friedman, P.C., a Munster, Indiana, law firm where he practiced since 1976.
He is a candidate for a Masters Degree in Liberal Arts from the University of Chicago.
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
As a business litigator, Mr. Pinkerton has several reported cases, including:
- Given v. Cappas, (Ind. Ct. App. 1985), 486 N.E. 2nd 583
- McGlothen v. Heritage Environmental Services, (Ind. Ct. App. 1999), 705 N.E. 2nd 1069
- Verkuilen v. South Shore Building and Mortgage Company, (CA7, 1997), 122 F.3rd 410, 38 Fed R. Serv. 3rd 392, 21 Employee Benefit Cases 2855
- Poteete v. Capital Engineering Company, Inc. Profit Sharing Plan, (CA 7, 1999), 185 F.3rd 804
Mr. Pinkerton is a frequent speaker throughout the country on many topics, including entity selection, retirement planning, federal and state taxation and IRS appeals and proceedings. His presentations include:
- “Taxation Issues in Entity Selection, SCorp or LLC,” National Business Institute, Merrillville, Indiana, June 2012.
- “706/IH-6 Comparison / Lawyer and Accountant Communication,” Hinshaw Breakfast Briefing for Accountants, Schererville, Indiana, October 2011.
- “Retirement Planning,” Hinshaw Breakfast Briefing for Accountants, Schererville, Illinois, October 2009.
- December 19, 2016
- December 15, 2015
- December 2, 2014
- December 11, 2013
- November 27, 2012
- December 13, 2011
- December 21, 2010
- December 10, 2010
- Planned Parenthood Affiliates, Inc., President (1998)
- Planned Parenthood of Northwest/Northeast Indiana, Inc., Member (1990–1998)
- Planned Parenthood of Northwest/Northeast Indiana, Inc., President (1994–1998)
- Planned Parenthood of Northwest/Northeast Indiana, Inc., Vice President (1993)
- Indiana University Department of Religious Studies Alumni Advisory Board, Member (1991–1993)
- Indiana University School of Law Capital Campaign (1996)
- Rotary Club of Hammond, Indiana
- Rotary Club of Hammond, Indiana, Member (1990–1993)
- Rotary Club of Hammond, Indiana,Director (1991)
- Calumet Goodwill Industries, Inc., President (1986–1987)
- Calumet Goodwill Industries, Inc., Vice President (1985)
- Calumet Goodwill Industries, Inc., Treasurer (1984)
- American Cancer Society, Fund Drive Chairman (1979)
J.D., Indiana University School of Law, 1975
B.A., with Honors, Political Science and Religious Studies, Indiana University, 1972
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Tax Court