Kendra Basner represents clients in a variety of litigation matters from general civil litigation to complex insurance coverage disputes. Her practice primarily focuses on professional liability with an emphasis on the defense of claims against lawyers. As a legal malpractice attorney, she has "re-litigated" underlying matters in various areas of law, including, but not limited to, disputes involving patents; trademarks; employment; complex contracts; wills and trusts; real estate; divorce; bankruptcy; criminal defense; insurance bad faith, and qui tam. In addition to her litigation practice, Ms. Basner also advises attorneys on ethical issues and risk management. She further handles risk management hotline counseling for attorney-insureds on behalf of Hinshaw's various insurer clients.
As a former Assistant Attorney General in both the criminal and fraud divisions of the Delaware Attorney General's Office, Ms. Basner has extensive trial experience before the Justice of the Peace, Court of Common Pleas, Superior and Chancery Courts, as well as the State Supreme Court in Delaware.
Ms. Basner is involved in all phases of litigation, from pretrial litigation, including drafting memoranda, correspondence and motions; conducting investigations; all aspects of discovery; and, settlement negotiations, through trial and at the appellate level. She has also handled complex, multi-week arbitrations.
Ms. Basner oversees, manages and contributes to social media accounts for Lawyers for the Profession® and LMRM Conference, including Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook, drafting and preparing daily alerts concerning recent news and developments in the area of legal malpractice, legal ethics and risk management.
Ms. Basner joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in August 2006. Previously she worked as an Assistant Attorney General with the Delaware Attorney General’s Office in Wilmington, Delaware for almost two years, in the Consumer Protection Unit of the Fraud Division, and also the Criminal Division. In addition to her law practice, her accomplishments there included creating the Volunteer Consumer Advocate Program. Ms. Basner also oversaw statewide registration for health spas and telemarketing businesses.
While still in law school, Ms. Basner was a legal clinic student at both the Delaware Civil Clinic with the Delaware Legal Clinic, and Delaware Criminal Clinic in conjunction with the Delaware Attorney General’s Office, where she was sworn in under Delaware Rule 56 to handle cases for victims of domestic abuse and juvenile crimes, respectively.
In addition, during the summer of 2002, Ms. Basner clerked with the Attorney General’s office. She was also a legal assistant for one year with the Washington, D.C. firm of Spriggs & Hollingsworth from 1999 to 2000.
Prior to her legal career, Ms. Basner was an accomplished lacrosse player. She was captain of the Duke University Women’s team for four years, and has maintained her involvement in the sport through coaching and playing on club teams in Washington D.C., Philadelphia, San Francisco and Napa. From 2008 to 2012, she was selected to be a member of the U.S. Lacrosse Ethics Committee.
Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (APRL)
- Bar Association of San Francisco's Legal Ethics Committee, Vice Chair (2016)
- American Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- San Francisco Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society (PLUS)
- National Association of Womens Lawyers (NAWL)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI): The Voice of the Defense Bar
Honors & Awards
- Named "Rising Star" of Northern California by San Francisco Magazine (2015).
- Selected to the "Northern California Super Lawyers/Rising Stars List" by Super Lawyers Magazine (2015–2016).
- Member of San Francisco Bar Association's Legal Ethics Committee pictured (third from left) "The Evolution of BASF's Legal Ethics Committee," San Francisco Attorney Magazine, Summer 2013, 16-19.
- Ms. Basner is featured by Susie Schnall in "The Balance Project." A series of relevant and refreshingly candid interviews with inspiring and accomplished women talking about balance.
- Cholakian & Associates v. Superior Court, No. C076759, 2015 WL 1939380 (Cal. Ct. App. Apr. 29, 2015) (certified for publication)
Some of the presentations with which she has been involved include:
- "The Ethics Game: An Interactive Approach to Understanding the Top Legal Ethics Developments in California in 2016," 6th Annual January CLE Marathon, Oakland, California, January 11, 2017.
- "Top Tips for Ensuring Cyber Compliance, Mitigating Risk of Breach and Post Breach Obligations," Bolton & Company Legal Risk Management & Compliance for Law Firms Series, Los Angeles, California, October 6, 2016.
- "From Start to Finish – Top Tips for Client Engagements & Disengagements and Managing Risk of Liability to Phantom Clients," Bolton & Company Legal Risk Management & Compliance for Law Firms Series, Los Angeles, California, October 6, 2016.
- "Annual Case Law Update," Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers ("APRL") 2016 Annual Conference, San Francisco, California, August 2016.
- "Health Care Practice Ethical Issues," The Health Law Committee April MCLE Program, webcast, April 2016.
- "Nonclient Claims: Traditional & New Remedies," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2016.
- "The Lessons of History: Are Civility and Professionalism Ethically Compelled?" West LegalEdcenter live webcast, June 2008.
- "A Perspective: The Origins and Future of the Legal Profession," Sherwin Memel Memorial Presentation: Civility and Professionalism in Practice, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys, April 2008.
Ms. Basner has written for Hinshaw's The Professional Line newsletter and also writes and lectures on attorney professional liability and legal ethics. During her tenure as an Assistant Attorney General, Ms. Basner wrote and spoke on a variety of fraud topics. She is the author of the "DE Consumer Fraud Handbook," used by the Delaware Attorney General’s Office.
- "Taking the Easy Road Could Get Your Expert Disqualified," Legal by the Bay, News from The Bar Association of San Francisco and the Justice & Diversity Center, December 20, 2016.
- "Taking the Easy Road Could Get Your Expert Disqualified," The Bar Association of San Francisco Bulletin, Legal Ethics Corner, November 27, 2016.
- "The Billable Hour Stranglehold on Insurance Defense Litigation," The Recorder, August 10, 2016.
- "Hollywood Trend on Movies About Legal Ethics and Attorneys," Daily Journal, May 6, 2016.
- "Make Your Firm's Practice Groups a Risk Management Tool," The Recorder, April 6, 2016.
- "Actions Speak Louder Than Words: The Legal Ethics of Equality," The Recorder, February 5, 2016.
- "Can Zealous Advocacy Go Too Far?," The Recorder, January 19, 2016.
- "Viewpoint: The Clock in Ticking on Mediation Confidentiality," The Recorder, December 8, 2015.
- "Attorney v. Client - Walking the Ethics Tightrope," The Bar Association of San Francisco's Bulletin, December 2015.
"Location, Location, Location: What's the Best Venue For Malpractice Claims", ABA/BNA Lawyers' Manual on Professional Conduct, October 2015.
"Spinning Straw Into Gold: Attempting to Hold Lawyers Liable for Uncollectible Judgments Against Their Clients," DRI's For the Defense, September 2015.
- "Is A Penny Saved A Penny Earned When Attorney-Litigants Represent Themselves?," PLUS Journal, May 2015.
- "Client On-Line Reviews of Lawyers' Services — Right of Response? — Application of "Self-Defense" Exception to Rule of Professional Conduct 1.6," The Lawyers' Lawyer Newsletter - Recent Developments in Risk Management, May 2015.
- "Social Networking — Personal Profiles on LinkedIn — Application of the Rules of Professional Conduct," The Lawyers' Lawyer Newsletter - Recent Developments in Risk Management, May 2015.
"Deciding Between Your Client and Your License: Which Are You Willing to Give Up?," feature article for DRI's The Voice, April 15, 2015.
- "Aging Population of Lawyers Means Colleagues Need to Keep Watchful Eye," ABA/BNA Lawyers' Manual on Professional Conduct, September 2014.
- Cassidy Chivers and Kendra Basner Author Article on Alternative Fee Arrangements in Insurance Defense MarketAugust 11, 2016
- Kendra Basner and Cassidy Chivers Author Article on the Hollywood Trend of Attorneys and Legal EthicsMay 6, 2016
- Cassidy Chivers and Kendra Basner Author Article on Using a Firm's Practice Groups as a Risk Management ToolApril 6, 2016
- Cassidy Chivers and Kendra Basner Author Article "Actions Speak Louder Than Words: The Legal Ethics of Equality"February 8, 2016
- January 25, 2016
- January 20, 2016
- Kendra Basner and Cassidy Chivers Author Article Viewpoint: The Clock is Ticking on Mediation ConfidentialityDecember 8, 2015
- Kendra Basner Authors Article on Permissibility of Litigation Between Attorney and Client for San Francisco Bar Association BulletinDecember 4, 2015
- ABA Clarifies Referral fees Between Lawyers in Formal Ethics Opinion 474
- Don't Become a Statistic – Know Attorney Discipline Standards – CA Revised Standards Apply July 1st
- Walking the Tightrope: Responding to a Client's Online Criticism
- A Penny Saved is not a Penny Earned When Attorney-Litigants Represent Themselves
- LMRM 2015 - Is a Penny Saved Really a Penny Earned When Lawyers Represent Themselves?
- LMRM 2015 Panel to Demystify Defense of Legal Malpractice Claims in Bankruptcy Court: a Trend Every Lawyer with a Judgment-Proof Client Must Be Aware Of!
- Duties of Lawyers in the Face of Cognitive Decline and Effect on Competency
- And you say he's just a "Friend": Contacting an Unrepresented Party Through Online Social Networks
Lawyers for the Profession®
- Participates in the San Francisco Bar Association’s VIP Mentor Program, which recruits attorneys to mentor parolees as they transition back into the community
- Coaches young women in the sport of lacrosse
J.D., Widener University School of Law, 2003
- Member, Intensive Trial Advocacy Team
- Member, First-Year Orientation Committee
- Member, Public Interest Law Alliance
B.A., Duke University, 1999, History and Psychology
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California