Katie Lachter focuses her practice on attorney professional responsibility and risk management. She represents lawyers and law firms with respect to all aspects of legal ethics and the law governing lawyers. Having previously practiced for eight years as a litigator in both civil and criminal cases, Ms. Lachter is skilled in identifying potential problems before they arise and advocating on her clients' behalf. She is also a national award-winning writer and a frequent speaker on professional responsibility issues.
Ms. Lachter's practice includes:
- Disciplinary defense
- Bar admissions and reinstatements
- Sanctions and contempt proceedings
- Fee disputes
- Disqualification and withdrawal motions
- Attorney-client privilege and confidentiality issues
- Conflicts of interest
- Attorney advertising
- Law firm risk management
- Legal malpractice actions
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson in February 2011, Ms. Lachter was an associate in several leading New York law firms, including the renowned litigation department at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, where she worked on matters for the firm's largest client. From 2003–2004, she was a law clerk to the Honorable Bruce W. Kauffman, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- New York City Bar Association, Committee on Professional Ethics, Member
- 2009–2011, Secretary
- Practising Law Institute, Faculty Member (2010–Present)
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (APRL) Member (2011–Present)
- New York Women's Bar Association, Ethics Committee, Member (2013–Present)
Honors & Awards
- 2012 recipient of the Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
- Legal Aid Society’s 2009 Pro Bono Publico Award, 2009
- "Other People’s Money: Handling Client Funds and Escrow Accounts," CLE presentation, New York Women's Bar Association, September 2013.
- "Litigation Funding," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2013.
- "Ethics in the Electronic Age: Be Careful When Using That Smart Phone, Blackberry, Tablet, Blog, Social Network . . ." New York City Bar Internet & Consumer Law series, New York, New York, June 2012.
- "IP Lawyer Ethical Issues," Intellectual Property Law Institute 2011, New York, New York, September 2011.
- "Playing Smart: Civility and Professionalism," Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (APRL) Annual Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, August 2011.
- "Ethics for Business/Transactional Lawyers," New York State Bar Association seminar, Uniondale, New York, June 2011.
- "What Every Attorney Must Know About Ethics, Parts I and II," at the Practising Law Institute, New York, New York, August and December 2010.
- Co-author of "E-data and the 'All Records' Exception," published by Law360, March 2011.
- Editor-in-Chief of the Ethics FAQ page on the Bar of the City of New York’s Ethics Committee webpage.
- Anthony Davis and Katie Lachter Co-Author Article, "Lateral Attorney Movement: Pre-Departure and Recruitment," in New York Law JournalMay 7, 2012
- April 30, 2012
- Anthony Davis and Katie Lachter Co-Author Article, "Do's and Don'ts of Lateral Attorney Movement: Managing the Risks," in New York Law JournalMarch 5, 2012
- Peter Jarvis and Katie Lachter Co-Author Article, "Civility: The Ultimate Legal Weapon?" in Bloomberg Law ReportsApril 4, 2011
Central Park Conservancy, member
J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2003
- Editor, Journal on Legislation
B.A., summa cum laude, Government, Dartmouth College, 2000
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York