John Terpstra focuses a large portion of his practice in business and commercial transactions, with particular emphasis in the area of property development. Mr. Terpstra counsels and advises clients on a wide variety of needs, from project development to courtroom litigation, if necessary, as well as asset preservation and wealth transfer.
He has guided clients through all phases of the commercial project development process, identifying and addressing the steps and strategies necessary from the corporate planning, municipal and real estate perspectives.
Mr. Terpstra is also an experienced litigator, having represented clients in many areas, including general liability disputes, employment litigation, transportation claims, premises liability, personal injury, insurance coverage disputes and appellate matters. He began his legal career as a plaintiff’s attorney, experience that has given him a unique understanding not only of the needs of his clients in prosecuting potential claims against others, but also in defending his clients’ interests.
Mr. Terpstra was previously an associate at a firm in Merrillville, Indiana. He began his legal career in 2007 at a firm in Valparaiso, Indiana, where he clerked throughout law school before becoming an associate.
- Lake County Bar Association
Mr. Terpstra’s clients span a variety of industries, including food service, physicians, clinical healthcare, sports and wholesale distributors. Representative examples of his effective defense counsel include the following:
- Obtained complete abatement of substantial IRS tax assessment against spouse of corporate shareholder electing S-Corp status through argument of innocent spouse.
- Successfully assisted in closing a highly contentious and litigious asset and real property purchase of a successful local restaurant.
- “Discoverable Social Media and its Admissibility,” in-house live webinar, June 2012.
- “Indiana T.R. 36: Requests for Admissions,” in-house presentation at a prior firm.
Mr. Terpstra is the author of a synopsis of current pharmacy law in the state of Indiana on behalf of a national pharmacy franchise.
John grew up in Highland, Indiana, and remains a resident of Lake County, Indiana. He enjoys playing basketball and keeping up with the Indiana Hoosiers.
- Actively involved in his church, and enjoys instructing and working with young people. He leads a Bible study group for young adults
J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 2007
B.S., Entrepreneurship and Marketing, Indiana University at Bloomington, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Tax Court