Jerrod Barenbaum's litigation practice emphasizes the representation of healthcare professionals in medical malpractice litigation. He also provides guidance to healthcare institutions on issues involving risk management, HIPAA and record production.
Mr. Barenbaum has substantial trial experience before Northern Illinois juries. In addition to his practice at the federal court level, he appears in State Circuit Courts throughout Illinois, including Winnebago County. He has represented defendants, including healthcare institutions, as primary counsel, in jury trials in Whiteside County, Winnebago County, Boone County, DeKalb County and McHenry County.
Mr. Barenbaum also litigates cases before arbitration panels under Winnebago County's mandatory arbitration system.
Mr. Barenbaum joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in July 1994. He is an active member of the Winnebago County Bar Association and is the Chair of its Medical-Legal Committee, which acts as a liaison between the local bar and local physicians. Mr. Barenbaum’s professional memberships also include the Defense Research Institute and the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel.
Mr. Barenbaum is a member of the Leading Lawyers Network and has been selected by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in the areas of Medical Malpractice Defense Law, and Personal Injury Defense Law: General.
Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2008, 2009)
- "Medical Malpractice Crisis," Rockford Health System's Department of Medical Education's Scientific Session, Rockford, Illinois, February 2005.
- "Potential Liability for Improper Disclosures of Personal Health Information," Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rockford, Illinois, February 2005.
- "Primer on the Litigation Process," Saint Anthony College of Nursing, Rockford, Illinois, 1999.
- Credentials Materials Are Not Privileged Under the Health Care Professional Credentials Data Collection ActFebruary 2, 2016Health Law Alert
- April 7, 2015
- July 2, 2012
- March 19, 2012
- March 1, 2012Health Law Alert
- December 21, 2010
J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 1994
B.A., Lake Forest College, 1991
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois