Jennifer Friedman practices in the area of commercial litigation, equine law, and employment law. Ms. Friedman's commercial litigation experience includes representing financial institutions, other business organizations (large and small) and individuals in pursuit or defense of complex tort claims and handling all aspects of these claims including motion practice, discovery and trial. Jennifer also has experience in the area of litigating e-Discovery disputes involving claims of spoliation of electronically stored information.
Ms. Friedman joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in May 2010. Previously she was managing attorney at Tharpe & Howell, where she handled premises liability matters, contractor license claims and insurance coverage disputes, among others.
Ms. Friedman joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in May 2010. Previously she was the managing attorney of the Arizona branch office of the California-based defense litigation firm of Tharpe & Howell, LLP, where she defended premises liability claims for various insurance companies and their insureds and oversaw the handling of all of the firm's Arizona matters. In 2007, she worked at Baker, Miller, Markoff & Krasny, L.L.C. in Chicago, handling complex consumer debt and collection matters. In 2008, Ms. Friedman relocated to Phoenix and joined Boates & Crump, PLLC as an associate handling personal injury, family law, probate, intellectual property and commercial litigation.
During law school, Ms. Friedman was a legal extern at the Consulate of Mexico in Chicago. She also clerked with the Law Offices of Scott D. Pollock & Associates, where she handled immigration matters. Her law school accomplishments include having been a member of the Dean’s List, and Secretary of the International Law Student Association.
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar Member (2016)
- North Phoenix Bar Association, Board of Directors and Secretary (2012–2013)
- Arizona Bar Association
- North Phoenix Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
A sampling of Ms. Friedman's representative cases includes:
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing claims against a large manufacturer and distributor for hostile work environment under Title VII Rights Act of 1964 and state law retaliatory discharge
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing personal injury claim against commercial transportation company
- Obtained summary judgments in favor of national financial institutions on foreclosure and lien priority claims
- Won a $2.2 million bench verdict and additional attorneys’ fees award on behalf of an insurer in Arizona District Court after successful partial summary judgment motion and trial.
- Briefed successful summary judgment motions for financial institutions on million dollar loan deficiency actions.
- Researched and drafted dispositive motions in legal malpractice actions resulting in favorable settlements.
- Negotiated a surrender agreement on behalf of creditor (former LLC member) for collateral in partial satisfaction of $1M promissory note and security interest in business equipment of two Arizona restaurants and litigated creditor’s subsequent lawsuit against LLC for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, breach of good faith and fair dealing and accounting to final judgment.
- Represented bank clients as creditors in borrower/guarantor Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
Jennifer worked for Hinshaw's Phoenix office from 2010 through 2013. She maintain an office there and handles complex commercial litigation matters in Arizona state and federal court. Jennifer now resides in the Chicagoland area with her husband, Jay, her son and daughter, two cats and one dog.
Jennifer is an avid runner, having completed three marathons. Most recently, she set a new personal record in the BMO Harris Bank Phoenix Marathon in February 2015. Jennifer also enjoys running 5K 10K and Half Marathons both in Illinois and in Arizona.
- Make-A-Wish Illinois, Wish Granter
J.D., Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2004
B.A., Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2000
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois