Janis Meyer focuses her practice on professional responsibility, risk management and professional liability law, with particular emphasis on attorneys and law firms. Having served as the general counsel of a global firm, Ms. Meyer is familiar with a broad spectrum of professional liability, human resource, and other risk management issues arising in law firms. During her career, Ms. Meyer has also represented and advised clients in a variety of industries, including banking, financial products and insurance.
Ms. Meyer began her legal career at White & Case, where she was an associate and then partner in the Litigation Department. Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson in January 2015, she was a partner and the General Counsel of Dewey & LeBoeuf and its predecessor, Dewey Ballantine. She was a member of the two-person wind-down committee that oversaw Dewey & LeBoeuf's bankruptcy filing in 2012 and the subsequent wind-down of the firm.
Ms. Meyer is a Special Professor of Law at The Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University where she teaches "The Nuts & Bolts of Lawyering" and Legal Ethics. Ms. Meyer clerked for the Honorable George C. Pratt in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York and the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Law360, Legal Ethics Editorial Advisory Board, 2016, 2017
- New York City Bar Association, Professional Ethics Committee (2014-present)
- New York City Bar Association, Committee on Recruitment and Retention of Lawyers (1993-2011), Chair (2007-2011)
Ms.Meyer has given numerous presentations and participated in many panel discussions at bar associations and industry conferences on issues of professional responsibility, diversity, women in the law, and the role of law firm general counsel. Her most recent presentations include:
"Alternative Fee Arrangements: What Works," Panelist, Bloomberg/BNA Webinar, June 2017.
"Ethical Considerations: Knotty Issues in Employment Discrimination Cases," Panelist, Practicing Law Institute, New York, New York, June 2017.
- "Searching for a Common Language: A Comparison of Some Regulatory and Ethical Issues in Ireland, the United Kingdom, and the United States," Panel Moderator, New York State Bar Association Section of International Law, Dublin, Ireland, April 2017.
"Ethics & Professionalism: Better Practices for Attorneys 2017," Panelist, City Bar Center for Continuing Legal Education, New York, New York, March 2017.
- "General Counsel and Their Managing Partners: Developing a Risk Management Partnership," Panelist, Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2017.
- "Tales from the GC's Office: What's Keeping Law Firm General Counsel Busy?," Moderator, Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2017.
"Timely Ethics Issues: Interacting with Witnesses, Firm General Counsel," Panelist, Federal Bar Council Winter Bench and Bar Conference, Palm Springs, California, February 2017.
- "Answers to Everyday Ethical Questions," Moderator, The New York City Bar Association, New York, New York, February 2017.
"Ethics Issues in Negotiating Sourcing Deals," Practicing Law Institute, New York, New York, November 2016.
"Ethics for Corporate Counsel 2016," New York State Bar Association Corporate Counsel Section, New York, New York, October 2016.
"Baby Boomers, Gen Xers and Millennials - Working Effectively Across the Generations," Annual Meeting, The National Association of Women Lawyers, July 2016.
"Ethical Warnings for Attorneys Working with Charitable Gifts," ABA Trust and Estate & Real Property 2016 Spring Symposia, Boston, Massachusetts, May 2016.
- "Who's Getting Sanctioned and Why?," Hinshaw & Culbertson's Law Firm General Counsel Roundtable, University Club, Chicago, Illinois, May, 2016.
- "Ripped From the Headlines: What's Worrying Law Firm GCs?," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2016.
- "Getting Engaged: A New Look at Engagement Letters (and Outside Counsel Guidelines)," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2016.
"Managing Ethical Obligations and Risks in the Representation of Startup, Financial Services and Tech Companies," New York State Bar Association Committee on Women in the Law Annual Meeting, New York, New York, January 2016.
"Staying Out of Trouble: Anatomy of a Legal Malpractice Case," Practicing Law Institute, December 2015.
- "Legal Ethics in the Era of Law Firm Mergers and Vereins," Strafford Webinars, December 2015.
"Ethical Issues in New York State Escrow Accounts," Practicing Law Institute, New York, New York, June 2015.
- "Law Firm Records Management: Planning for the Future, Digging out from the Past", AIIM Americas Leadership Council Summit, New York, New York, December 2014.
- "Closing One Door and Opening Another: Legal, Ethical and Practical Problems with Shutting Down a Law Firm," ABA Conference on Professional Responsibility, San Antonio, Texas, May 2013.
- "Regulation of the Legal Profession in the United States: Overview," Regulation of the Legal Profession Global Guide, April 1, 2017.
- "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: What to Do When Your Client wants to Make A Bequest to Your Favorite Charity," ABA/BNA Lawyers' Manual on Professional Conduct, 32 Law Man. Prof. Conduct 751, December 28, 2016.
- "How To Close A Law Firm — Practically And Ethically," Law 360, July 11, 2016.
- "The Panama Papers—An Incentive for 'Spring Cleaning'," New York Law Journal, June 2016.
- "Hygiene for Escrow Accounts: Time for a Checkup?," The New York Legal Ethics Reporter, January 2015.
- "The Law Firm Records Burden: Tips for Clearing the Warehouse," The Professional Lawyer (ABA), 2014.
- "Expenses and Disbursements," Chapter 15 co-author, "Successful Partnering Between Inside and Outside Counsel," West, 2011 and 2000.
- Commentary, Fed. R. Civ. Pro. 45, "The Practice Commentaries Series," 28 U. S. C. §§ 1781, 1782, 1783, NITA (2001).
- May 17, 2017
- March 28, 2017
- March 1, 2017
- February 23, 2017
- Janis Meyer Authors Article on Ethical Concerns When Clients Want to Donate to Their Lawyers’ Favorite CharityDecember 29, 2016ABA/BNA Lawyers' Manual on Professional Conduct
- December 6, 2016
- October 20, 2016
- Hinshaw Launches New Consulting and Coaching Services Focused on the Business and Management of Law FirmsOctober 17, 2016Team Will Be Led by Donald L. Mrozek, Who Served a Transformative 25+ Year Term at the Helm of AmLaw200 Law Firm
Lawyers for the Profession®
- Hofstra University, Board of Trustees, Member (1993-present), Chair (2011-2014).
- Hofstra University-Northwell Medical School Joint Board of Overseers, Member (2011- Present), Co-Chair (2011-2014).
J.D., with distinction, Hofstra University School of Law, 1981
- Managing Editor, Hofstra Law Review
M.A., Ohio State University
B.A., State University of New York at Stony Brook
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York