Janis Meyer focuses her practice on professional responsibility, risk management and professional liability law, with particular emphasis on attorneys and law firms. Having served as the general counsel of a global firm, Ms. Meyer is familiar with a broad spectrum of professional liability, human resource, and other risk management issues arising in law firms. During her career, Ms. Meyer has also represented and advised clients in a variety of industries, including banking, financial products and insurance.
Ms. Meyer began her legal career in 1983 in the New York office of White & Case, where she was an associate and then partner in the Litigation Department. Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson in January 2015, she was a partner and the General Counsel of Dewey & LeBoeuf and its predecessor, Dewey Ballantine. She was a member of the two-person wind-down committee that oversaw Dewey & LeBoeuf's bankruptcy filing in 2012 and the subsequent wind-down of the firm.
Ms. Meyer is a Special Professor of Law at The Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University where she teaches "The Nuts & Bolts of Lawyering" and Legal Ethics. Ms. Meyer clerked for the Honorable George C. Pratt in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York and the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Law360, Legal Ethics Editorial Advisory Board, 2016
- New York City Bar Association, Professional Ethics Committee (2014-present)
- Committee on Recruitment and Retention of Lawyers (1993-2011), Chair (2007-2011)
Ms.Meyer has given numerous presentations and participated in many panel discussions at bar associations and industry conferences on issues of professional responsibility, diversity, women in the law, and the role of law firm general counsel. Her most recent presentations include:
"Baby Boomers, Gen Xers and Millennials - Working Effectively Across the Generations," Annual Meeting, The National Association of Women Lawyers, July 2016.
"Ethical Warnings for Attorneys Working with Charitable Gifts," ABA Trust and Estate & Real Property 2016 Spring Symposia, Boston, Massachusetts, May 2016.
- "Who's Getting Sanctioned and Why?," Hinshaw & Culbertson's Law Firm General Counsel Roundtable, University Club, Chicago, Illinois, May, 2016.
- "Ripped From the Headlines: What's Worrying Law Firm GCs?," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2016.
- "Getting Engaged: A New Look at Engagement Letters (and Outside Counsel Guidelines)," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2016.
"Managing Ethical Obligations and Risks in the Representation of Startup, Financial Services and Tech Companies," New York State Bar Association Committee on Women in the Law Annual Meeting, New York, New York, January 2016.
"Staying Out of Trouble: Anatomy of a Legal Malpractice Case," Practicing Law Institute, December 2015.
- "Legal Ethics in the Era of Law Firm Mergers and Vereins," Strafford Webinars, December 2015.
"Ethical Issues in New York State Escrow Accounts," Practicing Law Institute, New York, New York, June 2015.
- "Law Firm Records Management: Planning for the Future, Digging out from the Past", AIIM Americas Leadership Council Summit, New York, New York, December 2014.
- "Closing One Door and Opening Another: Legal, Ethical and Practical Problems with Shutting Down a Law Firm," ABA Conference on Professional Responsibility, San Antonio, Texas, May 2013.
- "How To Close A Law Firm — Practically And Ethically," Law 360, July 11, 2016.
- "The Panama Papers—An Incentive for 'Spring Cleaning'," New York Law Journal, June 2016.
- "Hygiene for Escrow Accounts: Time for a Checkup?," The New York Legal Ethics Reporter, January 2015.
- "The Law Firm Records Burden: Tips for Clearing the Warehouse," The Professional Lawyer (ABA), 2014.
- "Expenses and Disbursements," Chapter 15 co-author, "Successful Partnering Between Inside and Outside Counsel," West, 2011 and 2000.
- Commentary, Fed. R. Civ. Pro. 45, "The Practice Commentaries Series," 28 U. S. C. §§ 1781, 1782, 1783, NITA (2001).
- September 23, 2016
- August 5, 2016
- July 11, 2016
- Janis Meyer Authors "The Panama Papers—An Incentive for 'Spring Cleaning'" in the New York Law JournalJune 10, 2016
- June 6, 2016
- Janis Meyer Quoted in Article About the Importance of Due Diligence in the Wake of the Panama Papers LeakMay 12, 2016
- March 14, 2016
- July 23, 2015Firm expands office space centrally located in Midtown Manhattan
Lawyers for the Profession®
- Hofstra University, Board of Trustees, Member (1993-present), Chair (2011-2014).
- Hofstra University-Northwell Medical School Joint Board of Overseers, Member (2011- Present), Co-Chair (2011-2014).
J.D., with distinction, Hofstra University School of Law, 1981
- Managing Editor, Hofstra Law Review
M.A., Ohio State University
B.A., State University of New York at Stony Brook
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York