James Ryndak practices in all areas of domestic and foreign intellectual property law with a focus on patent prosecution, licensing, litigation and client counseling, including patent validity, infringement, enforceability, and patent mergers and acquisitions including due diligence, portfolio analysis and negotiations, and due diligence including for mergers and acquisitions, licensing and enforcement. He also specializes in trademark, copyright, unfair competition and trade secret matters and also represents clients in matters in state and federal courts, arbitration proceedings and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Mr. Ryndak is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Mr. Ryndak was the founding and name partner in an intellectual property boutique in Chicago. He began his career in public service with the Illinois Attorney General's office, and entered private practice in Texas. He returned to Illinois and worked at a number of Chicago firms, including as a partner at an AmLaw 100 firm before starting his own firm in 1998.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Chemical Practice Committee, Member
- Patent Law Association of Chicago, Patent Office Practice Committee, Member
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized annually by Fortune Magazine as the lead partner of one of the Go-To Law Firms of the World's Leading Companies
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2012)
A selection of Mr. Ryndak's representative matters includes the following representations:
- An electronics manufacturer in defense of a microprocessor patent infringement case filed by another electronics manufacturer.
- An explosives manufacturer in asserting a patent infringement claim on emulsion blasting agents against a rival company.
- A merger and acquisition matter for an acquisition of a scientific software company.
- A gaming company in defense of an electronic slot machine patent infringement case filed by a gaming machine manufacturer.
- A merger and acquisition matter including intellectual property due diligence for an acquisition of a food processing company.
- A merger and acquisition matter including intellectual property due diligence and definitive agreement negotiation for a specialty chemical company.
- A large quick service food franchising organization in defense of a food processing patent infringement case filed by an oil management systems company.
- A biotechnology firm in defense of a DNA probe patent infringement cased filed by a major pharmaceutical company.
- A telecommunications company in a patent infringement case filed against another telecommunications company on telecommunications and computer telephony patents.
- The patent owner in a patent infringement case on lighting technology that resulted in a $56 million judgment including jury verdict for the patent owner and a finding of willful infringement against an auto manufacturer.
- The patent owner in a patent infringement case against a major golf club manufacturer. After extensive discovery, successfully settled the case and obtained a substantial recovery.
- The patent owner in a patent infringement case involving hospital bed technology. After extensive discovery, successfully settled the case and obtained a substantial recovery.
- The patent owner in a patent infringement case involving printing and paper-handling technology to produce printed, folded paper products. After extensive discovery, successfully settled the case and obtained a substantial recovery.
- May 16, 2016Intellectual Property Update
J.D., with honors, Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, 1977
B.S., with honors, Chemical Engineering, Purdue University, 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office