James Lydon is an experienced trial lawyer with a broad-based litigation practice. Mr. Lydon has tried numerous cases to verdict in both state and federal courts. His areas of practice include employment, government, professional liability and business litigation.
Mr. Lydon regularly represents clients in employment litigation matters, including discrimination and wrongful termination lawsuits. He also represents clients in business disputes, including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious business interference, copyright infringement and false claim/qui tam lawsuits. In white collar criminal matters, Mr. Lydon has represented clients in bank fraud, mortgage fraud, SEC obstruction and other financial related cases. He also has served as Special Assistant Corporation Counsel for the City of Chicago to handle an internal investigation regarding alleged Ethics Ordinance violations.
Mr. Lydon has been appointed as a Special State's Attorney to represent the Cook County Sheriff's Office in a variety of civil litigation matters and provides advice on operations, management and compliance issues. He regularly reports to the board of commissioners in connection with these engagements.
In the area of professional liability litigation, Mr. Lydon has served as lead counsel in cases involving allegations of medical negligence and legal malpractice.
Before joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in January 2002, Mr. Lydon served as an Assistant State’s Attorney in Cook County, where he tried 30 jury trials and hundreds of bench trials. As a member of the Felony Review Unit, he participated in hundreds of felony investigations.
- Society of Trial Lawyers
- Chicago Inn of Court
- Federal Defender Program in the U.S. District Court, Panel Attorney
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Employment Law and Professional Malpractice Defense
Mr. Lydon has extensive trial and appellate experience in both federal and state courts. A selection of his successful results includes the following:
- Successfully defended the Cook County Sheriff's Office at a high-profile preliminary injunction hearing in a class action case alleging constitutional rights violations.
- Represented a park district board official in an investigation involving a high-profile pool drowning.
- Obtained not guilty jury verdict in federal civil rights lawsuit, defending a Chicago Police officer accused of excessive force, false arrest and malicious prosecution, where plaintiff was seeking in excess of $1 million.
- Obtained favorable jury verdicts in medical malpractice wrongful death cases brought against client hospitals and physicians.
- Defended deputy sheriffs with the Cook County Sheriff's Office in a high profile civil rights case. Clients were found not guilty after a three week jury trial.
- Obtained not guilty jury verdicts in premises liability cases against client hospitals, where plaintiffs were seeking in excess of $1 million.
- Defended client charged in federal firearms case. Jury was hung (10-2, not guilty), resulting in dismissal of indictment against client.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf on the Chicago White Sox in a malicious prosecution and false arrest case where plaintiff’s demand was $1 million. Affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of client alleged to have violated the Illinois Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Confidentiality Act causing plaintiff’s employment termination.
- After a successful appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, Mr. Lydon secured a large settlement on the eve of trial on behalf of a film producer in a breach of contract, fraud and defamation case against a Canadian film company and bank.
"Spoliation of Evidence: Prevention and Consequences," American Bar Association Committee on Litigation - Trial Evidence, Chicago, Illinois, July 2014.
- "Top Issues and Emerging Trends in Employment Law," Arch Insurance Group, Chicago, Illinois, October 2011.
- "Effective Direct and Cross Examination," Hinshaw University Trial Advocacy Program, Chicago, Illinois, June 2011.
- “Labor Law Compliance in a Unionized Setting,” Professional Flooring Installers Association, Chicago, Illinois, July 2009.
- “Sophisticated Means Enhancement Under the Federal Sentencing Guidelines,” published on Law360.com, September 2011.
- July 2, 2012
- Constitutional Rights Foundation’s “Lawyers in the Classroom” Program, Volunteer
J.D., Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, 1992
B.A., University of Michigan, 1988, Political Science
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois