James Lestikow is an experienced estate planning, business and real estate lawyer. He focuses his practice in a number of distinct areas, including:
Estate Planning, Administration, Litigation and Asset Protection
Mr. Lestikow’s estate planning and wealth preservation practice includes the drafting of wills and trusts, family limited partnerships and other devices that help clients achieve their financial goals in the most tax efficient manner and protect their assets for retirement and the next generation. He also handles estate and trust administration, as well as handling estate and trust administration disputes through alternate dispute resolution or through litigation in court and has testified as an expert witness on duties of executors / trustees, fees of executors and trustees and in attorney malpractice cases. Reflecting his substantial estate planning experience, he was elected to Fellowship in the prestigious American College of Trust and Estate Counsel in 2001, and in 2006 was appointed a member of its Asset Protection Committee.
Corporate and Business Law
Mr. Lestikow represents businesses (many of them family and closely held), not-for-profit associations and foundations, limited liability companies and partnerships. He helps them with their choice of business entity, and advises them on such day-to-day issues as employment discrimination, credit, contracts and management activities. He advises on succession plans for closely held and family held businesses including buy-sell agreements, and offers transactional advice on asset sales, mergers, acquisitions, financing and dissolutions. Some of Mr. Lestikow’s clients in this area include the Springfield Airport Authority; Community Care Systems, Inc.; and Springfield Farm & Home Supply, Inc. d/b/a Big R.
Commercial Real Estate
In this area Mr. Lestikow handles commercial real estate matters including financing, tax-free exchanges, purchases, sales, leasing, annexation, construction and zoning. He has testified as an expert witness on the subject of attornment agreements in a commercial lease.
Mr. Lestikow joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in February 1992.
Since its inception, Mr. Lestikow has been a member of the Leading Lawyers Network, and has been recognized by his peers as a “Leading Lawyer” in the category of Trusts, Wills and Estate Planning Law, with extensive experience in Asset Protection, Corporate and Business Law and Real Estate Law.
- Illinois Bar Foundation, President (2014-2015)
- American College of Trust & Estate Counsel
- Asset Protection Committee (2006–Present)
- Fellow (2001–Present)
- Illinois State Bar Association’s (ISBA), Business Advice & Financial Planning Section Council, Chair (1999)
- Illinois State Bar Association’s (ISBA), Trusts and Estates Section Council, Chair (1989)
- Sangamon Valley Estate Planning Council, Past President
- American Bar Association
- Trust and Real Estate Section, Member
- Leading Lawyers Network, Advisory Board Member
- Central Illinois Family Business Forum, sponsored by Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville, Former Advisory Board Member
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a Top 10 Downstate Consumer Lawyer by Leading Lawyers (2016)
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Trusts and Estates in Springfield, Illinois by Best Lawyers (2014 & 2017)
- Included in "The Best Lawyers in America®" in the areas of Litigation – Trusts and Estates, and Trusts and Estates (2007–Present)
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2007–Present)
- Holds the AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Included in Martindale’s “Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers"
- Leading Lawyers Magazine’s “Top” lists: Top 50 Downstate Illinois Consumer Lawyers (2011); Top 100 Leading Downstate Illinois Business Lawyers (2010); Top 50 Downstate Illinois Consumer Lawyers (2009); Top 100 Leading Consumer Lawyers in Illinois and Top 50 Downstate Illinois Consumer Lawyers (2008)
- "Family and Philanthropy," University of Illinois, Public Affairs Center, Springfield, Illinois, May 2016.
- "Asset Protection Planning," Hinshaw University, June 2013.
- "Asset Protection Planning," Illinois State Medical Society webinar, October 2012.
- "Asset Protection for Physicians," Rock Island County and Scott County Medical Society, East Moline, Illinois, April 2011.
- “Asset Protection and Family Wealth Management for Physicians,” Illinois State Medical Society Seminars, Collinsville and Peoria, Illinois, July 2006.
- “Protecting Family Assets,” IICLE, Advanced Asset Protection Planning for 2006 seminar, Bloomington, Illinois and Chicago, Illinois, December 2005.
- “Planning and Drafting for Illiquid Assets,” IICLE, 48th Annual Estate Planning Short Course, Chicago, Illinois, April 2005, and again in Urbana, Illinois, May 2005.
- "Post-Mortem Planning with Disclaimers," IICLE, Springfield and Chicago, Illinois, June 2004.
Mr. Lestikow is a frequent writer and speaker on estate planning topics for the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE). He helped plan the 48th, 50th, 52nd and 54th Annual IICLE Estate Planning Short Course (2005 to 2011).
Mr. Lestikow is the Co-General Editor of "Asset Protection Planning," published by IICLE in February 2007, Supp. 2010. He also authored a chapter, “Practical and Ethical Considerations”. In addition, Mr. Lestikow served as General Editor of “Estate Planning for Illinois Lawyers: The Basics and Beyond,” IICLE, 2001, 2005, 2008 and due in 2011, and authored the chapter dealing with the initial meeting and client relationships. He is a Co-General Editor of “Postmortem Estate Planning,” (IICLE 2014 and 2010) and wrote its “Asset Protection” chapter.
- August 15, 2016
- April 29, 2016
- August 17, 2015
- October 3, 2014
- August 19, 2014
- June 23, 2014
- November 1, 2013
- October 16, 2013
- December 19, 2016
- August 11, 2016Estate Planning Alert
- December 15, 2015
- December 2, 2014
- December 11, 2013
- November 27, 2012
- December 13, 2011
- January 18, 2011Estate Planning Alert
- Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 Amends Federal Estate, Gift and Generation-Skipping Tax LawsDecember 21, 2010Estate Planning Alert
- December 10, 2010
- Illinois Bar Foundation, Board of Directors , Foundation's President (2007–2015)
- Illinois Bar Foundation, Charter and Diamond Fellow
- Illinois Bar Foundation, Charter Member of its Lincoln Legacy Society
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Board of Directors, Member (2010–Present)
- Hospital Sisters Mission Outreach, a World Health Organization, Board of Directors, Member
- The Lincoln-Douglas American Inn of Court, Member (2013–present)
- Greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce, Chairman of the Board (2008)
- Sangamo Club, Past President and Board Member
- Springfield High School Boosters Club, Past President
- Island Bay Yacht Club, Past Commodore and Board Member
J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, 1973
B.S., Northern Illinois University, 1970
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois