J. Richard Supple Jr. is the Partner-in-Charge of the firm’s New York office and Co-Leader of its Lawyers for Professionals Department. He represents law firms and lawyers in professional ethics-related matters, including disciplinary and legal malpractice cases, partnership and fee disputes, disqualification and sanctions motions, risk management advising and internal investigations. Mr. Supple also has significant experience counseling law firms with respect to joint-venture transactions, dissolutions and lending and credit agreements.
As a former prosecutor and defense counsel, Mr. Supple has tried, arbitrated, served as an expert, mediated and litigated numerous disciplinary and other ethics-related cases in federal and state courts. In addition, he has argued appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the New York Court of Appeals, and intermediate appellate courts throughout New York.
Before joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in 2004, Mr. Supple was Principal Trial Counsel to the Departmental Disciplinary First Judicial Department, and was a staff attorney at the Legal Aid Society.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Adjunct Professor (2004–Present)
- Practising Law Institute, Faculty Member
- New York City Bar Association, Professional Discipline Committee, Chair (2010–2013)
Honors & Awards
- Included in "The Best Lawyers in America®" in the area of Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law (2011–Present)
Mr. Supple has written and lectured widely on professional ethics matters, including at more than 50 CLE programs in the New York area and elsewhere, and is a frequent speaker at the annual Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference in Chicago. A sample of Mr. Supple's most recent presentations includes:
"Playing the Away Game, How Can Non-Resident New York Lawyers Comply," New York State Bar Association, Miami, Florida, September 2016.
"Understanding the Moral Compass of In-House Lawyers," NYU Stern School of Business, New York, New York, July 2016.
- "Evaluation of Attorneys' Fees in Complex Litigation," New York, New York, June 2016.
- "Phantom Clients and How to Exorcise Them," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2016.
"Ethics for the Trademark Lawyer," Practising Law Institute, New York, New York, March 2015.
- "Defenses to Disqualification Motions: What Works and What Doesn't," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, February 2015.
"Getting Admitted in the First and Second Departments," New York City Bar Association, New York, New York, October 2014.
"Attorney Discipline in New York: Structure, Process & Trends," New York City Bar Association, New York, New York, July 2014.
- "'Playbook' Disqualifications," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2014.
- "Staying Out of Trouble: What Every Lawyer Should Know About Ethics," Practicing Law Institute, New York, New York, December 2013.
- "Defending Wall Street and Main Street: The Revolving Door and Lawyers as Whistleblowers," New York County Lawyers Association, New York, New York, November 2013.
- "Ethics for the Negotiating Lawyer," Practising Law Institute, New York, New York, January 2013, January 2014 and March 2015.
- "Attorney Discipline in New York—Four Different Departments, Four Different Approaches," New York State Bar Association, New York, New York, January 2013.
- "Ethics in Purchases and Sales of Homes," New York State Bar Association, New York, New York, April 2013 and May 2015.
- "Ethics and Professionalism: Best Practices for Attorneys," New York City Bar Association, New York, New York, April 2013, April 2014 and May 2015.
- "The Disciplinary Process—How it Works," New York City Bar Association, New York, New York, July 2013.
- "New York Attorney Discipline Practice and Procedure," book co-author, New York Law Journal, 2016.
- "New York Attorney Discipline Practice and Procedure," book co-author, New York Law Journal, 2014.
- "A Well-Run Law Office: Avoiding Client, Malpractice and Disciplinary Problems," author, ExecSense, Inc., 2012.
- October 20, 2016
- Hinshaw Launches New Consulting and Coaching Services Focused on the Business and Management of Law FirmsOctober 17, 2016Team Will Be Led by Donald L. Mrozek, Who Served a Transformative 25+ Year Term at the Helm of AmLaw200 Law Firm
- August 15, 2016
- Richard Supple Quoted in Law360 Article on NY Ruling Strengthening the Shield for In-House Ethics AdviceJuly 14, 2016
- May 18, 2016Appointments Serve to Re-Generate and Add to Diversity of Firm Leadership
- May 18, 2016
- January 5, 2016
- August 17, 2015
Lawyers for the Profession®
J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School, 1989
- Posner Award Winner for public interest advocacy
B.A., magna cum laude, Duke University, 1985
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York