Fernando Garcia has more than 30 years of experience in real estate and commercial law, serving as counsel to entrepreneurs, investors, developers, lenders, institutional and corporate clients in complex real estate and commercial transactions. He represents clients in the acquisition, leasing, development, financing and sale of residential, mixed-use and commercial projects, including apartment buildings, shopping centers, hotels, office buildings and warehouses.
His work for lenders includes complex acquisition, development, construction and refinancings of commercial loans, as well as drafting and negotiating intercreditor and participation agreements. Additionally, Mr. Garcia handles loan workouts, including loan modifications, deed in lieu of foreclosure transactions and loan sales.
Mr. Garcia represents developers in the negotiation of complex construction contracts and the creation of residential, commercial and mixed use condominiums as well as homeowner and commercial and master associations. He also provides advice regarding operation, liability and turnover issues.
In addition, Mr. Garcia represents foreign clients in various business transactions across the United States and in foreign countries.
Mr. Garcia's practice also includes representing sellers and buyers of diverse businesses, negotiation of shareholder, joint venture and limited liability company agreements, drafting employment, brokerage and independent contractor agreements, representation of owners in company disputes and liquidation and dissolution of various enterprises, maritime vessel purchases, licensing and distributorship agreements, product sale agreements and aircraft sale and distribution agreements. He also represents borrowers and lenders in asset based financing.
Mr. Garcia joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in April 2011. Previously he was a partner at Yoss LLP in Miami since 1992.
He began his legal career with Mora and Freeman as an associate in 1979. In 1980, he moved to Pallot, Poppell, Goodman and Slotnick as an associate. In 1983, he was a name partner in Slotnick and Garcia, where he remained until 1992.
- The Florida Bar
- American Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Latin Builders Association
- South Florida Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Named "Knight of the Year" by Knights of Columbus Coral Gables Council 3274 for the year 2014
- Represented CMC Group, developer in $90 million construction loan, negotiation of construction contract, development and unit closings of Santa Maria, a luxury condominium project in Brickell Corridor, Miami, Florida.
- Represented BAP Development in $50 million construction loan, drafting of condominium documents and unit closings in 610 Clematis mixed use condominium project in West Palm Beach, Florida.
- Represented Allstate Insurance Company in deed in lieu transactions, workouts, sales of mortgages and monitoring of complex foreclosures of commercial projects such as office buildings and multifamily projects.
- Represented The Northern Trust Company as the lender in numerous loan financings involving multi-family projects, office and industrial projects in Florida.
- Represented Bank Leumi in $54 million loan made for 300 unit assisted living and independent living facility in Lake Mary, Florida.
- Represented Terremark, developer of $65 million construction loan for Nap of the Americas IT project in downtown Miami, Florida.
- Represented various landlords, including Tishman Speyer, and tenants in negotiation of commercial leases in major shopping malls, office and industrial projects across the State of Florida.
- Represented dialysis clinic in agreement with entity health care provider and terminating joint venture with another entity.
- Represented company engaged in developing software for scheduling with nursing colleges and hospitals and agreements with all these entities.
- Represented purchaser of vacant tract for development of 300 unit apartment project including drafting and negotiating of operating agreement for limited liability company buyer on behalf of manager.
- Represented Suntrust Bank in asset secured financing and drafting loan agreements.
- Represented buyers in acquisition of various yachts in and outside the U.S.
- Represented CMC Group, owner in $65 million construction loan for The Collection luxury car dealership in Coral Gables, Florida.
- Represented Orion Properties in acquisition of $12 million retail/shopping center project in Tampa, Florida.
- Represented Mastec Properties in an auction of commercial properties throughout the State of Florida.
- Represented Resolution Trust Corporation in over $100 million liquidation of real estate assets and holdings of various savings and loan associations throughout the State of Florida.
- He lectures on various real estate condominium topics including bulk sales and acquisitions and lender association portfolio matters.
- Presenter on topic of "Distressed Condominiums," on The National Rel Estate Auction Radio Show in May 2011.
- Interviewed by The Real Deal and Miami Daily Business Review and quoted on various condominium and other real estate topics.
Mr. Garcia has written CB Richard Ellis White Papers on the following topics: “Desperately Needed Changes to the Florida Condominium Act Effective July 1, 2010,” (August 2010); “Successor Developer Lender Liability,” (March 2009); and “Transfer of Control of Condominium Associations in Florida,” (January 2009).
- October 9, 2014
- June 13, 2014
- October 3, 2012
- February 22, 2012
- Knights of Columbus Coral Gables Council 3274, Past Deputy Grand Knight and current Program Director
- Habitat for Humanity, Past Team Captain
- Dunbar Elementary Reading Program, Past Reading Tutor
- Ambassador for former Mercy Hospital in Miami, Florida.