Eric Weimers focuses his practice in all areas of domestic and foreign intellectual property law, including patent validity, infringement and freedom to practice opinions; patent prosecution; trademark selection, clearance, registration, enforcement and due diligence in mergers and acquisitions; copyrights; trade secrets; licensing and other transactions; and related litigation before the federal courts, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and arbitration before the AAA and ICA.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Mr. Weimers was a partner in an intellectual property boutique in Chicago. He was an associate with two New Orleans firms, and an associate and partner in the Chicago office of an AmLaw 100 firm.
Mr. Weimers' law school accomplishments included having been a member of the Order of the Coif and the Order of Barristers. He served as Chief Justice of the Tulane Moot Court Board in 1984–1985.
- The Federalist Society for Law & Public Policy Studies, Member IP Practice Group
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by his peers as a Leading Lawyer (2017)
- Martindale-Hubbard AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 rating
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2012–2017)
A selection of Mr. Weimers' representative matters includes the following representations:
A major food and beverage company in connection with freedom to practice and patentability opinions in areas including product packaging, plastic bottles and injection molding methods, vending machines, fountain beverage dispensers, and LED and fiber optic lighting for coolers and retail displays.
A major electronics company in patent litigations and freedom to practice and opinions on semiconductor memories, microprocessors and CRT and LCD displays.
- A patent owner in a patent infringement case on lighting technology that resulted in a $23 million jury verdict and a finding of willful infringement against an auto manufacturer.
- The owner of a patent on cell phone call routing technology in a licensing campaign, including several patent infringement cases against wireless carriers, and obtained settlements and licenses favorable to his client.
- A patent owner in an international arbitration proceeding related to night vision technology resulting in findings of patent infringement and validity and a multi-million dollar award in favor of the patent owner.
- Trade associations and not-for-profits in trademark, copyright and licensing matters.
- Numerous hardware and software technologies, including network edge platforms, wireless mobile sensing systems, cargo tracking, diagnostic data monitoring and detection and cellular routers and gateways.
- "Joint Development Agreements: Protecting Intellectual Property," National Business Institute, webinar, May 2014.
A selection of Mr. Weimers' publications includes:
- "Changes in United States Patent Law as a Result of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade," originally published in Japanese in International Legal Strategy, Vol. IV-7, July 15, 1995, reprinted in English and Japanese in U.S.-Japan Intellectual Property Issues Updated '96-'97, ILS Publications, 1996.
- "United States Patent Law and GATT," Chap. 4, International Intellectual Property Law 1997, Center for International Legal Studies, Wiley, 1998.
- May 9, 2014Intellectual Property Update
- April 30, 2014Intellectual Property Update
- Tulane Alumni Association, President (2000–2001)
- Associates Board of Tulane University, Former Member
- Tulane University Alumni Admissions Committee, Former Member
- National Eagle Scout Association, Life Member
- Chicago Area Council Boy Scouts of America, Legal Cluster, Exploring Committee, Past Chair
- National Society, Sons of the American Revolution, Compatriot Member
- Episcopal Church of Our Saviour, Chicago, Past Vestry Member and Building & Grounds Chair
J.D., cum laude, Tulane University School of Law, 1985
B.S.E.E. and B.S., Computer Science, Tulane University, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office