Doug Marshall focuses his practice in hospital and healthcare law, and employment law. Much of his work involves service as general counsel and special counsel to a number of hospitals and other healthcare providers in Illinois.
Mr. Marshall advises these clients on antitrust, corporate compliance programs, defense of Office of Inspector General (OIG) investigations, formation of alternative delivery systems, joint ventures with physicians and other organizations, mergers and acquisitions, restructuring, medical staff bylaws and disputes, employment law, physician recruitment and contractual matters, bio-medical-legal concerns and contracts.
In addition to his health law practice, Mr. Marshall represents general business clients in issues involving employment law.
Mr. Marshall joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in June 1982. He was a member of the firm's Executive Committee for 12 years. Mr. Marshall is a past member of the Board of Directors of the Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys as well as past President. He is a former diplomate in the American College of Healthcare Executives.
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Peoria County Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in the area of Health Law
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2005)
Mr. Marshall has taught a hospital law course at the college level, and has lectured to a wide range of business and professional groups on health law and employment issues. Representative topics of his presentations include:
- "Documentation, Discipline, and Discharge," Commercial Bankers Association of Illinois Employee Benefits Seminar, Lisle and Springfield, Illinois, June 2014.
- "Oversight Responsibility and Liability for Corporate Officers and Directors," Hinshaw’s Annual Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2012.
- "Healthcare Fraud: Health Reform’s Expansion of Provider Risk and Best Practices to Minimize Exposure in Government Actions"
- "Tax Exemption After Health Care Reform and Provena"
- "The Impact of Stark on Hospital/Physician Relations"
- "Stark Update"
- "Hiring Employees" and "Terminating Employees"
- "Governance (Sarbanes-Oxley) / Best Practices"
- "Healthcare Compliance and Self-Disclosure"
- "Top Three Hot Topics in Health Care: Advanced Physician Recruitment, New Hospital Reporting Standards and Contractual Joint Ventures"
- "Advance Healthcare Directives"
- "Confidentiality of Medical Records"
- "Employment Issues Involving Local Government Units"
- "Healthcare Law: An Overview of Issues Affecting Providers"
- "Legal Issues Concerning OSHA Blood Borne Pathogen Standards"
- "Legal Issues for Trauma Nurse Specialists"
- "Legal Issues in the Medical Office"
- "Legalities in Nursing"
- "Medicare Fraud & Abuse Safe Harbor"
- "Personnel Law Update"
- "Protecting Yourself: Purchasing a Computer System Properly"
- "Sexual Harassment"
Mr. Marshall has also written a number of articles on healthcare topics, illustrated by these examples:
- "CMS Medical Staffing Rule Leaves Questions Unanswered," co-author, Law360 Expert Analysis, August 11, 2014.
- "An Analysis of Appropriateness Review," 25 St. Louis Law Review, 319 (1985), reprinted in Specialty Law Digest: Health Care, April 1993.
- "Family Responsibility Laws for Long-Term Medical Assistance Patients," Hospital Progress, Volume 66, No. 2, March 1985.
- "Setting Up a Marketing Department: Why? How?," Hospital Progress, Volume 61, No. 6, June 1980, reprinted in The Snowmass Advisory, Summer 1980.
Employment Law Observer
- April 24, 2015Health Law Alert
- Seventh Circuit Upholds Criminal Conviction Under the Anti-Kickback Statute Utilizing a Broad Definition of "Refer"February 17, 2015Health Law Alert
- February 9, 2015Health Law Alert
- August 20, 2014Health Law Alert
- May 23, 2014Health Law Alert
- June 17, 2013Health Law Alert
J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, 1982
- Managing Editor, Saint Louis University Law Journal, 1982
- Special Editor-in-Chief, Law Journal Health Law Edition
M.H.A., St. Louis University, 1980, Hospital Administration
B.A., Western Illinois University, 1970
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois