David Asmus is an experienced corporate attorney who has for more than 25 years focused his practice on bankruptcy/reorganizations, commercial transactions, banking and financial services, and environmental law.
He has served as in-house corporate counsel to banking institutions such as Citicorp/Citibank, and as outside counsel to a number of other financial institutions.
Mr. Asmus represents national, regional and local banks; financial services companies; mortgage banks; and brokerage companies. He serves as lender’s counsel in a variety of commercial and real estate financing transactions, with a particular emphasis on Uniform Commercial Code Article 9, which covers secured lending and bankruptcy/reorganizations. He has been admitted in numerous federal bankruptcy courts across the country to represent secured creditor interests and prosecute their various claims in both business reorganizations and Chapter 7 liquidations. He has also counseled companies and ownership interests on reorganizations of businesses, and served as debtor's counsel for the only successful Chapter 11 reorganization in the Eastern District of Missouri in 1997 to 1998.
Mr. Asmus has participated in numerous transactions involving corporations and partnerships regarding mergers and asset sales; the financing of conventional offerings; and providing counsel and advice on the restructuring, reorganization and liquidation of businesses for creditor clients. He represents national financial institutions before state regulatory agencies throughout the United States, and has been consulted by state and industry representatives on issues pertaining to the chartering and licensing of financial institutions.
Mr. Asmus has advised a number of for-profit and not-for-profit enterprises and businesses in a variety of manufacturing, educational and service industries on contract negotiations for commercial relationships, organizational formation, financing, real estate, commercial leases, mergers and acquisitions, reorganization and liquidation.
Mr. Asmus joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in May 2005. Previously he was a member of the law firm of Lashly & Baer, P.C., for seven years, and a partner at Benson & Guest LLP for six years. Mr. Asmus was with Citicorp Mortgage, Inc. for seven years, the last three as vice president and general counsel. Early in his legal career, he served as senior counsel to ITT Commercial Finance Corp. and as bank counsel to Mark Twain Bancshares.
- The Missouri Bar, Commercial Law Committee
- Commercial Law League of America, Creditor’s Rights Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute
Honors & Awards
- Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce, Chamber’s Taskmaster Award for Service (2003)
He has also spoken on the topics of bankruptcy, banking and secured transactions at Lindenwood University, and before bar associations, trade and industry organizations. His presentations include:
- “Chapter 11 and 13: Step-By-Step Procedures and Differences,” National Business Institute seminar “Personal Bankruptcy: The Basics of Filing an Individual Case,” live webcast, October 2009.
- “Chapter 11 Essentials,” part seven in an 11-part live teleconference series, National Business Institute, July 2009.
Mr. Asmus regularly publishes articles in both legal and trade journals on the topics of banking and secured transactions.
- Lord of Life Lutheran Church, Member, Sanctuary Choir, the Family Handbell Choir, and as guest organist and accompanist
- Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce, Chesterfield Arts Commission, Member Board of Directors (2004–Present)
- Chesterfield Planning & Zoning Commission, Member (2004–2008)
- Chesterfield Heritage Foundation, Member, Board of Directors (2004–2007)
- Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce, Government Affairs Committee, Chair, Board of Directors (2001–2004)
- Alzheimer’s Association, Member (1999–Present)
- Boys Hope / Girls Hope National, St. Louis, Special Counsel
J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, 1979
B.A., Political Science and Literature, St. Ambrose University, 1976
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri